Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Gogineni, Pratima" <pg...@selectica.com> on 2001/02/16 19:00:43 UTC

digester question

Hi,

I have been reading the documentation on digester - I was wondering if it
uses XPATH for element pattern matching and if it doesnt why not?

I dont think the documentation mentions this ...

THanks
Pratima

Re: digester question

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
"Gogineni, Pratima" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been reading the documentation on digester - I was wondering if it
> uses XPATH for element pattern matching and if it doesnt why not?
>
> I dont think the documentation mentions this ...

That's *usually* a pretty good sign that it doesn't support the feature you
are looking for :-).

Currently, Digester uses a very simple pattern matching algorithm based on
the set of nested elements you are currently processing.  This seemed more
appropriate to the types of problems that Digester was created to solve (like
reading configuration files, or building arbitrary object trees).  However,
XPATH is something that might be interesting to consider for the future.

We're also going to look at XPATH as a way for the Struts custom tags to
access bean properties or navigate DOM objects in the presentation layer.

> THanks
> Pratima

Craig