Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2006/10/09 22:37:05 UTC

Re: [VOTE] SpamAssassin 3.1.7 release

Thomas Schulz writes:
> > Hi --
> >
> > new tarballs!  Please check 'em out and vote at:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~jm/devel/
> >
> > by the way: per ASF policies, only PMC member votes are binding for a release,
> > but we encourage everyone to download, test, and report any issues!
> >
> > my vote: +1.
> >
> > BTW: my proposed release announcement is as follows:
>
> Should the release announcement include the change section from the
> 3.1.6 release (labeled as such) for the benefit of those skipping
> the 3.1.6 release in favor of the 3.1.7 release?

Since we have never done that before, I would say not -- no point
starting it now ;)

--j.

Re: Cumulative changes

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.
On 10/10/06 1:09 PM, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Monday, October 09, 2006 9:37 PM +0100 Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>
> Agreed, but it would be nice if there was a link in the release
> announcement to the Changes file (or to the previous release announcement).
> This could be to the file in the Subversion tag directory.
>
> I had to jump through the wiki to review the svn URL and finally got to:
>
> <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/
> tags/spamassassin_release_3_1_7/Changes>

I agree that making a link to the Changes file easy to find would be a
good idea, whether it is done by adding one sentence to the release
announcement, or at least adding it to the SpamAssassin home page or to
the download page.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.1/Changes is a
better URL, as it will continue to work until we release 3.2.

I propose that starting with the 3.1.7 release we add that link to the
downloads page on http://spamassassin.apache.org/downloads.cgi

> Something that's not clear to me is where the version boundaries are in the
> Changes file. I can't quickly tell where 3.1.6 ends and 3.1.7 begins.

Each release starts with a change such as "3.1.6 devel cycle started"
and ends with "preparing to release 3.1.6". The "preparing to release
3.1.7" hasn't been checked in yet because it has not been released.

 -- Sidney Markowitz
    http://www.sidney.com

Cumulative changes (was: [VOTE] SpamAssassin 3.1.7 release)

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
wrote:

> Since we have never done that before, I would say not -- no point
> starting it now ;)

Agreed, but it would be nice if there was a link in the release
announcement to the Changes file (or to the previous release announcement).
This could be to the file in the Subversion tag directory.

I had to jump through the wiki to review the svn URL and finally got to:

<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/
tags/spamassassin_release_3_1_7/Changes>

Something that's not clear to me is where the version boundaries are in the
Changes file. I can't quickly tell where 3.1.6 ends and 3.1.7 begins.

Would it be possible to generate a different file that has the cumulative
notes from the release announcements, visibly separated at the version
boundaries? Someone running, say, 3.1.4 could quickly determine how much
will change when they upgrade to the latest release.

(I'm upgrading some 3.1.4 systems to 3.1.6 and commented out the custom
scores until 3.1.7 is available.)