Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Philippe Dupont <pd...@teads.tv> on 2013/12/05 16:42:20 UTC

Re: Raid Issue on EC2 Datastax ami, 1.2.11

Hi again,

I have much more in formations on this case :

We did further investigations on the nodes affected and did find some await
problems on one of the 4 disk in raid:
http://imageshack.com/a/img824/2391/s7q3.jpg

Here was the iostat of the node :
http://imageshack.us/a/img7/7282/qq3w.png<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.us%2Fa%2Fimg7%2F7282%2Fqq3w.png&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGTu2l8P6sedK0Wc9lhoI6_3O3ixw>

You can see that the write and read throughput are exactly the same on the
4 disks of the instance. So the raid0 looks good enough. Yet, the global
await, r_await and w_await are 3 to 5 times bigger on xvde disk than in
other disks.

We reported this to amazon support, and there is their answer :
" Hello,
I deeply apologize for any inconvenience this has been causing you and
thank you for the additional information and screenshots. Using the
instance you based your "iostat" on ("i-xxxxxxxx"), I have looked into the
underlying hardware it is currently using and I can see it appears to have
a noisy neighbor leading to the higher "await" time on that particular
device. Since most AWS services are multi-tenant, situations can arise
where one customer's resource has the potential to impact the performance
of a different customer's resource that reside on the same underlying
hardware (a "noisy neighbor"). While these occurrences are rare, they are
nonetheless inconvenient and I am very sorry for any impact it has created.
I have also looked into the initial instance referred to when the case was
created ("i-xxxxxxx") and cannot see any existing issues (neighboring or
otherwise) as to any I/O performance impacts; however, at the time the case
was created, evidence on our end suggests there was a noisy neighbor then
as well. Can you verify if you are still experiencing above average "await"
times on this instance? If you would like to mitigate the impact of
encountering "noisy neighbors", you can look into our Dedicated Instance
option; Dedicated Instances launch on hardware dedicated to only a single
customer (though this can feasibly lead to a situation where a customer is
their own noisy neighbor). However, this is an option available only to
instances that are being launched into a VPC and may require modification
of the architecture of your use-case. I understand the instances belonging
to your cluster in question have been launched into EC2-Classic, I just
wanted to bring this your attention as a possible solution. You can read
more about Dedicated Instances here:
http://aws.amazon.com/dedicated-instances/ Again, I am very sorry for the
performance impact you have been experiencing due to having noisy
neighbors. We understand the frustration and are always actively working to
increase capacity so the effects of noisy neighbors is lessened. I hope
this information has been useful and if you have any additional questions
whatsoever, please do not hesitate to ask! "

To conclude, the only other solution to avoid VPC and Reserved Instance is
to replace this instance by a new one, hoping to not having other "Noisy
neighbors"...
I hope that will help someone.

Philippe

Posted by Philippe Dupont <pd...@teads.tv>.
Hi Aaron,

As you can see in the picture, there is not much steal on iostat. That's
the same with top.
https://imageshack.com/i/0jm4jyp

Philippe

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.