Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/21 15:09:36 UTC

Re: Unicode files

On 7/21/06, Jarl Friis <ja...@softace.dk> wrote:
> After having read the old thread starting at
> http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-11/1019.shtml
>
> I can see that support for unicode was requested for the svn diff
> functionality. I believe that the conclusion was that it is just a
> question of finding a proper diff tool.
>
> In http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2004-11/1067.shtml
> Norbert Unterberg writes:
> > Subversion doesn't (yet) know how to treat UTF-16 files as text for
> > purposes of eol-translation. It can handle UTF-8, of course. Sorry.
>
> However I wonder what is the status for supporting unicode
> (UTF-16) with respect to svn *merge* feature?

Well, in that case, you need to find the right diff3 tool :-) See the
--diff3-cmd command line option.

> I do understand that wrt. storage subversion is completely ignorant of
> the file content, however subversion is capable of merging (ANSI) text
> files and probably also UTF-8 files. But how about UTF-16 ? or other
> Unicode encodings.

Subversion won't merge anything which it's told is binary. If you tell
it your file is text and you have a tool which can merge files of that
content type, you're just ok.

HTH,

Erik.

BTW: I think this is a users@ question as it doesn't directly pertain
development of Subversion. Please continue there.

Re: Unicode files

Posted by Jarl Friis <ja...@softace.dk>.
Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:

> (I think there IS a plan to make it easier to use external diff and
> merge utilities, for example by configuring that a certain program
> should be used for files with a certain MIME type.)

That, however, also sounds much more attractive...

Jarl

--
Jarl Friis
Softace ApS

Re: Unicode files

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Jarl Friis wrote:
> It is clear to me now that it is possible, by specifying external tools,
> to achieve what I want: merge facility for unicode (UCS2) files. However I
> would like to ask (on dev-list), if it is on the plan to make this an
> integrated feature of Subversion? Or if there is any good reason for
> explicitely not supporting any other text file encodings than
> supersets of ASCII?

I think there is no plan for "svn diff" and "svn merge" to handle other text
encodings such as UCS2 internally, but I am not sure of that.

(I think there IS a plan to make it easier to use external diff and merge
utilities, for example by configuring that a certain program should be used for
files with a certain MIME type.)

- Julian

Re: Unicode files

Posted by Jarl Friis <ja...@softace.dk>.
Hi Erik.

Thanks for your reply.

"Erik Huelsmann" <eh...@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, in that case, you need to find the right diff3 tool :-) See the
> --diff3-cmd command line option.

Not until now do I realise that the diff3-cmd (if specified) is
actually used for merging, thanks.

> Subversion won't merge anything which it's told is binary. If you tell
> it your file is text and you have a tool which can merge files of that
> content type, you're just ok.

Thanks.

> BTW: I think this is a users@ question as it doesn't directly pertain
> development of Subversion. Please continue there.

I did ask earlier on the users-list, but never got any replies, hence
the post on the dev list.

I do admit however, that I deserve a "RTFM", because have I read the
man page for diff3, I would have realised it is actually a *merge* tool.

Yet...

Re: Unicode files

Posted by Jarl Friis <ja...@softace.dk>.
Hi Erik.

Thanks for your reply.

"Erik Huelsmann" <eh...@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, in that case, you need to find the right diff3 tool :-) See the
> --diff3-cmd command line option.

Not until now do I realise that the diff3-cmd (if specified) is
actually used for merging, thanks.

> Subversion won't merge anything which it's told is binary. If you tell
> it your file is text and you have a tool which can merge files of that
> content type, you're just ok.

Thanks.