Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> on 2022/11/06 21:20:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] ASF Mastodon instance?

Hi,

Given the recent events around twitter I had this crazy idea:
What if the ASF would run their own Mastodon instance under the apache.org
domain?

Primarily this would make it possible for all projects to have a clean
account that can be used for project announcements (i.e. usable by PMCs ?)
I expect this to also make it quite easy to archive all communication via
this route.
Like:

   - @avro@apache.org
   - @flink@apache.org

Second (I consider this to be optional) it would allow all
committers/pmcs/... to have a clean ASF relatable point of communication.
In my case

   - @nielsbasjes@apache.org

I have NO idea how easy/hard/expensive such a thing is at the scale of the
ASF.
I just wanted to drop the idea here so it can be discussed (and then either
be accepted or rejected).

Curious to hear your thoughts.

--
Best regards
Niels Basjes

Re: [DISCUSS] ASF Mastodon instance?

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 6:24 AM Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 11:20 PM Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Given the recent events around twitter I had this crazy idea:
> > What if the ASF would run their own Mastodon instance under the
> apache.org
> > domain?
> >
> > Primarily this would make it possible for all projects to have a clean
> > account that can be used for project announcements (i.e. usable by PMCs
> ?)
> > I expect this to also make it quite easy to archive all communication via
> > this route.
> > Like:
> >
> >    - @avro@apache.org
> >    - @flink@apache.org
> >
> > Second (I consider this to be optional) it would allow all
> > committers/pmcs/... to have a clean ASF relatable point of communication.
> > In my case
> >
> >    - @nielsbasjes@apache.org
> >
> > I have NO idea how easy/hard/expensive such a thing is at the scale of
> the
> > ASF.
> > I just wanted to drop the idea here so it can be discussed (and then
> either
> > be accepted or rejected).
>
> And therein lies the rub -- I think it will be a reasonable impact on
> our infra team (Greg CCed for further comments) and as such will have
> to be justified...
>
> ...'cuz the only justification I have is that (and perhaps similar to
> yours) "it would be really cool to have it" ;-)
>
> It could give provenance to a set of social media handles for legitimate
Apache Foundation members, validating representation and preventing
imposters. Not  sure how much that's needed but I have seen some discussion
on these lists about this  in relation to Twitter, Slack, etc.

Peter Hunsberger

Thanks,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
We have yesterday applied to https://hub.fosstodon.org/ for an account
in Apache Airflow. And I encourage others who are interested to make
their own choice and do the same for their PMC.

My personal opinion is that such a discussion makes very little sense
if the goal is "let's get a centrally managed solution first" before
we even know if that makes sense and where our users are and how the
situation evolves.

Mastodon makes it relatively painless to migrate between servers if
needs be - https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2019/06/how-to-migrate-from-one-server-to-another/
- this the whole point of federation approach, if you do not like the
moderation and COC you get at one server, you move and you bring your
users with you (if they concur).

IMHO It's far better if each of the individuals who are interested to
run Mastodon, will do it on behalf of their PMC, just try it and apply
at the server of their choice.

Let's gather experiences and see what works. If we find that we need
an Apache run server and have good rationale behind it, we might
decide to do it (or not).

And I think it's far too early (if even at all) to expect INFRA to do
anything about it on the central level or get a server that one of the
ASF members will run for all the PMCs.

On a philosophical level - I personally believe trying to centralise
the approach is also pretty much 100% against the whole idea of
federation. The federation is not there to "centralise" the approach,
but to make it easier to distribute it and the ASF is VERY well
prepared for that distributed world. The PMC independence and
self-governance except very, very few central services and really
important aspects (like licensing. release policy and publishing) is
precisely what federation idea supports. And federation means that at
the PMC level you have both the benefit of choosing the server as well
as the responsibility to make the choice and bear the cost of setting
up/managing and moderating. It looks like centralization is an attempt
to reap the benefits of decentralisation without bearing the cost of
managing it.

Somehow it does not click to try to centralize it back.

J.

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Niels

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Am 07.11.22 um 13:13 schrieb Gilles Sadowski:
> Hello.
>
> Le lun. 7 nov. 2022 à 12:41, Peter kovacs <pe...@posteo.de> a écrit :
>> Hi all
>>
>> @walter
>> I don't think your argument is a good one.
>> If the name is inappropriate then we should change the Domain and not try to stay invisible.
>> However this should be a different discussion.
> That discussion happened, and got nowhere concretely, most probably
> because of the huge impact on long-time habits and existing infrastructure.
> IIUC, Walter is suggesting to not add to the pile of required updates in case
> the ASF would, some day, want to clear away all misleading associations
> with the people referred to as "Apache".
>
> A corollary, indeed part of this discussion, would be that a new communication
> channel should not involve the term "apache" (a discussion about alternative
> names also happened).

Imho this does not sound as a blocker to me. I think the proposal is
that we host our own social media service within the Mastodon network.

To make the proposal depend on the Domain name still sounds wrong to me.

All the best

peter

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.