Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Manu Zhang <ow...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/19 13:41:37 UTC

Broker Exception: Attempt to read with a maximum offset less than start offset

Hi all,

Is KAFKA-725 Broker Exception: Attempt to read with a maximum offset less
than start offset <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-725> still
valid ? We are seeing a similar issue when we are carrying out the yahoo's
streaming-benchmarks <https://github.com/yahoo/streaming-benchmarks> on a
4-node cluster. Our issue id is
https://github.com/gearpump/gearpump/issues/1872.

We are using Kafka scala-2.10-0.8.2.1. 4 brokers are installed on 4 nodes
with Zookeeper on 3 of them. On each node, 4 producers produce data to a
Kafka topic with 4 partitions and 1 replica. Each producer has a throughput
of 17K messages/s. 4 consumers are distributed (not necessarily evenly)
across the cluster and consume from Kafka as fast as possible.

I tried logging the produced offsets (with callback in send) and found that
the "start offset" already existed when the consumer failed with the fetch
exception.

This happened only when producers are producing at high throughput.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Manu Zhang

Re: Broker Exception: Attempt to read with a maximum offset less than start offset

Posted by Manu Zhang <ow...@gmail.com>.
I can reproduce this on 0.9.0.0. The error log is

[2016-01-28 16:12:32,840] ERROR [Replica Manager on Broker 1]: Error
processing fetch operation on partition [ad-events,1] offset 75510318
(kafka.server.ReplicaManager)

I also print the sent offset from producer

time   partition offset
16:12:32.840   1   75510318

It seems the offset is produced and consumed at the same time.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <ml...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Manu and Robert,

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.