Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net> on 2009/09/17 20:56:37 UTC

[VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Hi Everyone,

I've cut a release candidate for 5.3.0

Could you review the release artifacts and vote?

The release notes are here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/ActiveMQ+5.3.0+Release

You can get the binary distributions here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/activemq-staging-030/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.3.0/

The Maven2 repository is at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/activemq-staging-030/

The Maven generated website for this version will be created first thing
tomorrow

Source SVN tag:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/tags/activemq-5.3.0

Please vote to approve this release binary

[ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Here's my +1

Cheers
--
Dejan Bosanac

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
The only required part of an apache release is the source archive that
is sufficient to build the project.  You don't make that easy to
find :-)..... its here

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/activemq-staging-030/org/apache/activemq/activemq-parent/5.3.0/

I'd suggest just pointing to the staging repo
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/activemq-staging-030

so its clear that the vote is for the entire contents of the staging
repo.

I'd like to run the ee5 tck against geronimo + the activemq 5.3
release candidate, I'm hoping we can start tomorrow.

Also it seems to be strongly suggested that you check that the source
archive actually will build before voting +1 :-)

Since Guillaume has apparently decided to wait on the osgi changes
will you uncancel the vote?  In geronimo we have concurrent votes
fairly often, just noting that one vote depends on another.  We do try
to get the votes started in order :-)

Congratulations on getting this process started :-)

thanks
david jencks

[CANCEL][VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi Hiram,

yes, remembered protofbuf afterwards and included it into reply (this was a
long day).

I'll cancel this vote and wait for Guillaume's changes as well.

But everyone are welcome to examine the artifacts in the meantime.

Cheers
--
Dejan Bosanac

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by Hiram Chirino <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dejan,

Since the release depends on activemq-protobuf...
I might expedite things if you also include in the vote, the protobuf-1.0
release that was staged to:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/activemq-staging-026/org/apache/activemq/protobuf/activemq-protobuf/1.0/

You should cancel this vote and restart with a fresh VOTE thread that
includes both the releases.

Regards,
Hiram

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've cut a release candidate for 5.3.0
>
> Could you review the release artifacts and vote?
>
> The release notes are here:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/ActiveMQ+5.3.0+Release
>
> You can get the binary distributions here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/activemq-staging-030/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.3.0/
>
> The Maven2 repository is at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/activemq-staging-030/
>
> The Maven generated website for this version will be created first thing
> tomorrow
>
> Source SVN tag:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/tags/activemq-5.3.0
>
> Please vote to approve this release binary
>
> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.3.0
>
> Here's my +1
>
> Cheers
> --
> Dejan Bosanac

> Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com/

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi,

source archive builds just fine and maven site building is in the process.
The new vote call is posted on the list.

David, please let us know how ee5 tck went.

Cheers
--
Dejan Bosanac

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi David,

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by Hiram Chirino <ch...@gmail.com>.
David, I fully agree.  Unless it actually passes a vote, any tag in SVN is
just 'temporary'.  The source tar balls are really what we need to be
reviewing anyways.

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by Hiram Chirino <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>
> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I've cut a release candidate for 5.3.0
> >
> > Could you review the release artifacts and vote?
> >
> > The release notes are here:
> >
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/ActiveMQ+5.3.0+Release
> >
> > You can get the binary distributions here:
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/activemq-staging-030/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.3.0/
> >
> > The Maven2 repository is at:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/activemq-staging-030/
> >
> > The Maven generated website for this version will be created first thing
> > tomorrow
> >
> > Source SVN tag:
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/tags/activemq-5.3.0
> >
> > Please vote to approve this release binary
> >
> > [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.3.0
> > [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
>
> I'm seeing the following failure when building the source from the
> activemq-5.3.0 tag:
>
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
>
> GroupId: org.apache.activemq.protobuf
> ArtifactId: activemq-protobuf
> Version: 1.0

>  org.apache.activemq.protobuf:activemq-protobuf:pom:1.0
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>  nexus-public-snapshots
> (http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/groups/public-snapshots),
>  nexus (http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/groups/public)

It's been deployed to a staging repo.  See my earlier reply about that in
this thread.

> Also, why has there been no discussion regarding the preparation for
> this release on the dev list?

Isn't that what what's going on now?

IMHO rolling release candidates is the best way to get folks engaged and
discussing the current state of the product and whats still missing.

As we have long seen in the History of ActiveMQ releases.. it typically
takes several release candidates before everyone's happy.  I guess this
first release candidate was no different!

That's why I'm grateful to anyone who take the initiative to start rolling
the release candidates.  They are basically taking on a tough job and
prodding the rest of to get involved the release!

We really do need to start doing releases more often.

> Bruce
> --
> perl -e 'print
> );'

> Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com/

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
On the same time AcitveMQ Protocol Buffers Java Implementation 1.0 release
candidate is cut as well. It is needed for ActiveMQ 5.3.0 release.

You can find artifacts here
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/activemq-staging-026/

and svn tag here

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/activemq-protobuf/tags/activemq-protobuf-pom-1.0/

Please vote to approve this release binary as well

[ ] +1 Release the binary as AcitveMQ Protocol Buffers Java Implementation
1.0

Here's my +1

Cheers

Cheers
--
Dejan Bosanac

Blog - http://www.nighttale.net

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I've had a look at activemq osgi stuff, and there's much more work
that I initially thought.
I don't want to delay the release too much, so i think we should go
without that, and i'll try to take some time in the coming weeks to
have a clean OSGi story.
My initial goal was to be able to support multiple versions of
activemq deployed in the same container, but the plugin discovery
mechanism is not really osgi friendly and there are still lots of
modules that are not available as osgi bundles.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [VOTE] ActiveMQ 5.3.0