Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> on 2010/10/23 16:38:19 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Remove RemoteManager after M1

Hi there,

after spend some time on implementing JMX management stuff for JAMES I
think we should get rid of RemoteManager and just use JMX for
management. To make it more easy to use for "normal" users I would
like to create a command line interface which use JMX calls to add
users etc. Something like cassandra does with its nodetool.

So you can easily do management from command line or JMX. Whatever you prefer.

WDYT ?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove RemoteManager after M1

Posted by Eric MacAdie <er...@MacAdie.net>.
  My web app project uses JSF and Hibernate to manage a James instance
via the database. It can add users, delete users, get stats on how many
messages are waiting to be read, and delete messages in the deadletter
table. It uses the current James schema. I don't know if the schema will
change in James 3. It is intended to be pretty small and usable by the
"retail" user; I am running James on a VPS account. I really don't have
access to large enterprise servers.

If people want to modify it to use the James 3 schema or JMX, that is
fine with me.

http://github.com/emacadie/James-Admin-Web-App

Regards,
Eric MacAdie

Posted by Dhrubo <dh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Yes that's why I was working on JMX. With JMX we can expose management
functions via a standard and if someone want to write a management
frontend he can just use them.

Anyway I think ship a command line client with JAMES makes sense .

Bye
Norman

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
2010/10/24 Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Sounds good :) I think using JMX calls would be preferable ..
>
> IIRC RemoteManager has issues which prevent the rest of james moving
> forward. though i find RemoteManager useful and had some plans, i
> think removing it from trunk would be the best strategy.
>
> i would prefer an independent management product for james (whether
> using JMX transport or not) to an integrated one. if anyone is
> interested then coding up something based on whatever's useful in
> RemoteManager in a sandbox then that'd work for me much better than
> trying to work within james.

+1

Stefano

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove RemoteManager after M1

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
As others seems to agree I will target it for after M1.

Thx,
Norman

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Exactly... Like JMX.

Posted by Dhrubo <dh...@gmail.com>.
Robert,

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dhrubo <dh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dhrubo <dh...@gmail.com>.
Appreciated Eric.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Dhrubo,

Posted by Dhrubo <dh...@gmail.com>.
I can start this from Monday.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dhrubo <dh...@gmail.com>.
Norman,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Oops, it would be M2 (because it's "after M1")
Eric

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Norman,