Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/12 11:54:53 UTC

Removing libraries from source distro (WAS: Re: Source for plugins missing from 2.0.11?)

2007/11/11, Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>:
> The Maven build does seem to be broken in that respect.

In fact it is not so bad, it needs only some tweaks to make it work
(and removing some extra configuration :-) ).
I feel that I am very near to the solution, but I wonder what is the
sense of including jars in the source distribution: since the
preferred way of building Struts 2 is Maven, we can "force" using
Maven for building from source.
This way, we can remove the jars and let Maven download all the dependencies.

Thoughts?

Antonio

Re: Removing libraries from source distro (WAS: Re: Source for plugins missing from 2.0.11?)

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
It may have just happened as a side effect. I don't think it's our
intention to include JARs in the source distribution. We have a lib
distribution for JARs.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/11/13, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>:

> The one we're using works, it just takes more xml than it should to
> construct the source distribution.  (Naming every directory rather
> than having it recursively get all the modules and sub-modules.)

It makes sense when the assembly plugin is configured in the main module (in
our case, struts2-parent), but this way we cannot do customized packages,
since dependencies for the assembly plugin get mixed with the
compilation/runtime ones. For this reason, I think that the separate
"assembly" module is a good choice.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 13, 2007 1:16 AM, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you actually meant "assembly" plugin, then I am addressing that problem
> too: in fact I wanted to update it, but I could not do it since, after
> updating, the source assembly does not get built (it seems like a bug in
> assembly plugin, but I cannot swear it...).
> If we remove the libs (and then the "build.xml") I think that we can have a
> lighter and cleaner source distribution.
> Do we really *want* to provide an ANT build.xml?

Yes, I meant assembly plugin.  I've lost track of it, but it seems
that the new one is not compatible with our assembly descriptors, or
it needs different configuration.

The one we're using works, it just takes more xml than it should to
construct the source distribution.  (Naming every directory rather
than having it recursively get all the modules and sub-modules.)

Sounds like you're working on it, so I'll leave it unless you have questions...

--
Wendy

Re: Removing libraries from source distro (WAS: Re: Source for plugins missing from 2.0.11?)

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 12, 2007 3:54 AM, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact it is not so bad, it needs only some tweaks to make it work
> (and removing some extra configuration :-) ).
> I feel that I am very near to the solution, but I wonder what is the
> sense of including jars in the source distribution: since the
> preferred way of building Struts 2 is Maven, we can "force" using
> Maven for building from source.
> This way, we can remove the jars and let Maven download all the dependencies.

There is a build.xml at the top.  The dependencies might be for
that... but, external dependencies only, we shouldn't include the
released struts jars in the source distro.

I looked at it, and we're still using an old version of the archetype
plugin.  It's just a few lines to get the plugin source included.  One
day maybe we can move to the latest archetype plugin release, but I
there are lots of changes in the descriptor format.

--
Wendy