Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com> on 2002/05/05 03:23:04 UTC

The Limit (formerly: limiting access to a context object's methods)

Jonathan,

I've been reading this 'discussion' with something between awe and
revulsion.  You are clearly very smart and (I think) knowlegeable.  I don't
know much about your FreeMarker project, but I suspect it is pretty good.

Geir, whatever you think of him (not much, from your comments) is
remarkable.  He has the energy of 10 and is also incredibly smart and
eloquent - and *very* helpful to people who ask for help.  To label Velocity
as a 'copy-cat' technology is simply snide.

I am using Velocity, not because I've concluded that it is the best
technology available, but because it is *very* good and quite acceptable for
my needs.

I for one would greatly appreciate it if you would 'butt out' of this list.
I'm (and always have been) open to new ideas and new technology - but I have
limits about how much uncivility I can accept in the process.

Terry Steichen

Re: The Limit (formerly: limiting access to a context object's methods)

Posted by Ken Anderson <ka...@pacific.net>.
Terry Steichen wrote:

>I for one would greatly appreciate it if you would 'butt out' of this list.

+1

This is not a 'template engines' list.
We know about Freemarker already. Be gone!

Ken Anderson

Re: The Limit (formerly: limiting access to a context object's methods)

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
bob mcwhirter wrote:
> Okay, that's quite enough.  Take it elsewhere guys.
>
> 	-bob
> 	(wondering why this is on the velocity list...)
>
> On Mon, 6 May 2002, Jonathan Revusky wrote:
>

>>Fuck you, you little bastard.
>>Now, you listen to me, you little lying dweeb dipshit.
>>Fuck you, you little dipshit bastard.
>>Okay, you little bastard.

In the text above, Geir I was reacting to Geir's insinuation that I did
not write the Niggle framework and was illegitimately taking credit for it.

We're not taking this elsewhere. Geir is going to have to retract that
statement on this same list where he made the insinuations. This is just
not right.

Jonathan Revusky
--
Lead developer of FreeMarker http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/
Build robust web appications with the

Re: The Limit (formerly: limiting access to a context object's methods)

Posted by bob mcwhirter <bo...@werken.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Charles N. Harvey III wrote:

> [...]

That's not true. I care. I am the author and it was being insinuated
that I am not.

>  As long as the product, support and
> documentation are good nobody cares if it is developed by one person
> or a crowd of a thousand.  Nobody is trying to take any credit away from
> you.
> We just want the flood of e-mails to stop.

I have stated how to stop it. I told Geir to retract the insinuation
that I did not write Niggle. He clearly went over the line there. You
just don't go there.

Once I'm satisfied that he's retracted it, I unsubscribe for good.

He just has to humbly admit that that was wrong, with no verbal
gamesmanship, and then  I'm out of here. You all have my word.

Regards,

Jonathan Revusky
--
Lead developer of FreeMarker http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/
Build robust web applications with the

Posted by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com>.

The thing is, that nobody cares.  As long as the product, support and
documentation are good nobody cares if it is developed by one person
or a crowd of a thousand.  Nobody is trying to take any credit away from
you.
We just want the flood of e-mails to stop.

Charlie

Re: The Limit (formerly: limiting access to a context object's methods)

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On 5/5/02 7:19 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:
>

>>Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>>You invented immutable records?
>>
> [SNIP]
>
> Please, avoid this language on the list.  There is *no* place for it here.
>

>>I had the idea of basing the Niggle
>>library around immutable records. I did not invent the concept of
>>immutable records themselves.
>

> Oh, my mistake then.  I thought you were saying that the core idea of
> immutable records was yours.  I figured it went back to early mainframes...

You didn't think that. Stop lying.

>>Now, you listen to me, you little lying dweeb dipshit. This has all been
>>fun and games. I've been tweaking your nose a bit, I admit, and you want
>>to get back at me.
>

> Actually, I don't want to 'get back' at you.

Stop lying.

> Velocity community - I apologize to you for goading him on this.
>
> Smarter people than I (most, I suspect) warned me not to, and while I
> ignored many if not most of his insults about me, Velocity, Jakarta, the ASF
> and the communities therein to just pass, the idea of him being the sole
> author of Niggle didn't sit quite with me, so I had to ask.  He agreed that
> he wasn't.

Look, I am the sole author. A guy may have sent me a bugfix patch here
and there. There might be someone who made a suggestion that was good
and I acted on it. People have made an nth order contribution here and
there. Niggle is roughly 10,000 LOC and there is probably not much more
than 100 lines written by anybody else. Nobody has made a significant
enough contribution that you could seriously say they were a co-author.
Thus, I am the sole author.

Niggle is a relatively small community, but the people there know who I
am and they know who wrote the code. You know who wrote the code and
you're playing slimey semantic games to insinuate something.

You were making slimy insinuations that suggested that I was taking
credit for other people's work.

> I will do my best to end participation in this thread.

If this is your best, it's not good enough. I want a retraction. It was
wrong to insinuate that I did not write Niggle, when you know damn well
I did. Just humbly admit the mistake and we're through.

> In other messages,
> JR is claiming that I said he "did not write the Niggle framework and was
> illegitimately taking credit for it."  What I actually said was

>>>Well, pretty much. Objectively, Niggle is at least 98% my work and
>>>that's a conservative estimate. The core ideas embodied, like using
>>>immutable records, were mine.
>>

>>You invented immutable records?
>

> I don't want to continue this.  It's gone way further than I imagined it
> could have.
>
> It's clear that JR was involved with creating the Niggle framework,

I was not just "involved" with creating the Niggle framework. I wrote
the fucking thing!!! Everybody damn well knows that!

I do not make a similar claim about FreeMarker. Benjamin Geer wrote
FreeMarker 1, other people contributed. I rewrote the core of the
template engine for FreeMarker 2. But I am not the sole author.

The history of the FreeMarker project is on the FreeMarker website and
the history of the Niggle project is on the Niggle website. I wrote the
text in both cases and the text is truthful.

> and that
> he clearly is the project lead and maintainer now, so if anyone had any
> questions about his fine character and honor, I apologize for any
> insinuations of mine that might have led you to  negative conclusions.

Don't play at being a clever lawyer with me, little boy. I wrote the
fucking thing and you were insinuating that I was lying about that. I
want a retraction.

> As always, this has been a sincere displeasure on my part as well as a
> glorious waste of precious time, mine and everyones.  To everyone, I
> apologize for that too.
>
> I would rather be talking about templating and Velocity.
>
> I am hoping we can return to fighting about '+' vs '&' vs ':'.

I want an unconditional retraction of this bullshit. I gave my word that
I would unsubscribe from this list for good once I received a
satisfactory retraction.

I even apologized for my provocative behavior. I took the first step.

You have a very easy route. Don't be stupid, Geir. Take the easy way. It
was just plain wrong to insinuate that I was taking credit for other
people's work. I did write Niggle.

> :)

Fuck your little smiley. I'm not smiling. I am extremely pissed off.

:-(

--
Jonathan Revusky

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 5/5/02 7:19 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Well, pretty much. Objectively, Niggle is at least 98% my work and
>>> that's a conservative estimate. The core ideas embodied, like using
>>> immutable records, were mine.
>>

>> You invented immutable records?

[SNIP]

Please, avoid this language on the list.  There is *no* place for it here.

> I had the idea of basing the Niggle
> library around immutable records. I did not invent the concept of
> immutable records themselves.

Oh, my mistake then.  I thought you were saying that the core idea of
immutable records was yours.  I figured it went back to early mainframes...

> Now, you listen to me, you little lying dweeb dipshit. This has all been
> fun and games. I've been tweaking your nose a bit, I admit, and you want
> to get back at me.

Actually, I don't want to 'get back' at you.

Velocity community - I apologize to you for goading him on this.

Smarter people than I (most, I suspect) warned me not to, and while I
ignored many if not most of his insults about me, Velocity, Jakarta, the ASF
and the communities therein to just pass, the idea of him being the sole
author of Niggle didn't sit quite with me, so I had to ask.  He agreed that
he wasn't.

I will do my best to end participation in this thread.  In other messages,
JR is claiming that I said he "did not write the Niggle framework and was
illegitimately taking credit for it."  What I actually said was

>>>LOL. You are not the sole author.  Give credit where credit's due...
>>>

>>Well, pretty much. Objectively, Niggle is at least 98% my work and
>>that's a conservative estimate. The core ideas embodied, like using
>>immutable records, were mine.
>

> You invented immutable records?

I don't want to continue this.  It's gone way further than I imagined it
could have.

It's clear that JR was involved with creating the Niggle framework, and that
he clearly is the project lead and maintainer now, so if anyone had any
questions about his fine character and honor, I apologize for any
insinuations of mine that might have led you to  negative conclusions.

As always, this has been a sincere displeasure on my part as well as a
glorious waste of precious time, mine and everyones.  To everyone, I
apologize for that too.

I would rather be talking about templating and Velocity.

I am hoping we can return to fighting about '+' vs '&' vs ':'.

:)

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.
geirm@adeptra.com
+1-203-247-1713

Re: The Limit (formerly: limiting access to a context object's methods)

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On 5/5/02 4:30 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:
>

>>Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>>LOL. You are not the sole author.  Give credit where credit's due...
>>>

>>Well, pretty much. Objectively, Niggle is at least 98% my work and
>>that's a conservative estimate. The core ideas embodied, like using
>>immutable records, were mine.
>

> You invented immutable records?

Fuck you, you little bastard. I had the idea of basing the Niggle
library around immutable records. I did not invent the concept of
immutable records themselves.

Now, you listen to me, you little lying dweeb dipshit. This has all been
fun and games. I've been tweaking your nose a bit, I admit, and you want
to get back at me.

Congratulations, you have finally managed to provoke me. The problem is
that this is slander. So listen carefully. You're going to retract these
insinuations below or this is going to get *very* nasty.

> LOL.  Time for your meds, it seems.

Fuck you, you little dipshit bastard.

>>Pretty much all of the code that is there
>>is by me. All of the API was designed by me. And the implementing
>>classes. The project is maintained by me.
>

> I think that the last sentence is the only one that can't be argued with.
> As for the rest, it would be an interesting discussion to explore this
> subject, had I the interest.

Okay, you little bastard. You are going to retract the above. You stated
this in public and you are going to fucking retract it in public.

>>Quite frankly, I wish Niggle wasn't a one-man show to the extent that it
>>is. I wish more of it were written by other people. But that is simply
>>not the case currently.
>>
>>What's strange about this is that in an exchange that does credit to
>>neither of us particularly, you referred to Niggle in a denigrating
>>fashion as my "personal attempt at a web app framework." That's the
>>message below.
>>
>>http://spitfire.velocet.net/pipermail/webmacro/2001-November/007288.html
>>
>>What I infer now is that you've looked at it and realize that it's
>>pretty good and are now taking issue with my saying that it's my work.
>>"Couldn't possibly be Revusky's work... it's too damn good..." <mutter>
>><mutter> ;-)
>

> No, you are a genius.  I recognize that.  We all do.
>
> I just know some of the niggle background, and it doesn't sync with how I am
> interpreting your words here.  Must be my mistake in interpretation. ;)

Listen to me good. You don't know shit about the niggle background. I
know you don't because I wrote it. And I know you weren't there when I
wrote it.

You are making insinuations about my character and my honor now. I am
abrasive and I don't suffer fools gladly, but you are now insinuating
that I took credit for work that I did not do.

I did not realize that you were this unstable and I guess my fun and
games have pushed you over the edge. I'll make a deal. You retract these
mendacious insinuations right now and I will unsubscribe from this
mailing list immediately if that's what you prefer. I had little
intention of hanging around here much longer anyway.

If you don't retract it, then you're just looking for trouble. And
you'll have found it.

Make your decision.

Jonathan Revusky

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 5/5/02 4:30 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Salut, Stéphane.
>>>
>>> FreeMarker is a template engine, not an MVC framework.
>>>
>>> The MVC framework in question is Niggle at http://niggle.org/
>>>
>>> I am the author of that.
>>>

>> LOL. You are not the sole author.  Give credit where credit's due...
>>

> Well, pretty much. Objectively, Niggle is at least 98% my work and
> that's a conservative estimate. The core ideas embodied, like using
> immutable records, were mine.

You invented immutable records?

LOL.  Time for your meds, it seems.

> Pretty much all of the code that is there
> is by me. All of the API was designed by me. And the implementing
> classes. The project is maintained by me.

I think that the last sentence is the only one that can't be argued with.
As for the rest, it would be an interesting discussion to explore this
subject, had I the interest.

> Quite frankly, I wish Niggle wasn't a one-man show to the extent that it
> is. I wish more of it were written by other people. But that is simply
> not the case currently.
>
> What's strange about this is that in an exchange that does credit to
> neither of us particularly, you referred to Niggle in a denigrating
> fashion as my "personal attempt at a web app framework." That's the
> message below.
>
> http://spitfire.velocet.net/pipermail/webmacro/2001-November/007288.html
>
> What I infer now is that you've looked at it and realize that it's
> pretty good and are now taking issue with my saying that it's my work.
> "Couldn't possibly be Revusky's work... it's too damn good..." <mutter>
> <mutter> ;-)

No, you are a genius.  I recognize that.  We all do.

I just know some of the niggle background, and it doesn't sync with how I am
interpreting your words here.  Must be my mistake in interpretation. ;)

geir

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On 5/5/02 3:25 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:
>

>>Stéphane MOR wrote:

>>>You're not. You stated that in one of your endless, pointless emails :
>>>03/05/02 : "I have been FreeMarker's lead developer for a little over 2
>>>months."
>>>Is Freemarker "a little over 2 months" old ?
>>
>>Salut, Stéphane.
>>
>>FreeMarker is a template engine, not an MVC framework.
>>
>>The MVC framework in question is Niggle at http://niggle.org/
>>
>>I am the author of that.
>>

> LOL. You are not the sole author.  Give credit where credit's due...

Well, pretty much. Objectively, Niggle is at least 98% my work and
that's a conservative estimate. The core ideas embodied, like using
immutable records, were mine. Pretty much all of the code that is there
is by me. All of the API was designed by me. And the implementing
classes. The project is maintained by me.

Quite frankly, I wish Niggle wasn't a one-man show to the extent that it
is. I wish more of it were written by other people. But that is simply
not the case currently.

What's strange about this is that in an exchange that does credit to
neither of us particularly, you referred to Niggle in a denigrating
fashion as my "personal attempt at a web app framework." That's the
message below.

http://spitfire.velocet.net/pipermail/webmacro/2001-November/007288.html

What I infer now is that you've looked at it and realize that it's
pretty good and are now taking issue with my saying that it's my work.
"Couldn't possibly be Revusky's work... it's too damn good..." <mutter>
<mutter> ;-)

Geir, you don't seem to know whether you're coming or going.

<sigh>

Jonathan Revusky

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 5/5/02 3:35 PM, "Stéphane MOR" <st...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Salut,
>
> OK, so a new thread called "Objective Comparison between Freemarker and
> Velocity" would be a better idea .

Instead of a thread, which will probably turn into a flamefest anyway, why
not a post on the Freemarker website?  We can do our response here.

Then, we don't fill people mailboxes with the stuff, anyone who is
interested can go look, and the arguments can be made w/o the chance of fire
breaking out again...

I'm game.

> There is probably a need for people to know what other solutions are
> available, but all this flaming deserves
> neither Freemarker nor Velocity.
>
> Both projects can cohabit (I guess that Freemarker is supported by
> Niggle in the same way that Velocity is
> supported by Turbine - as Freemarker formerly was ).

Niggle supports Velocity too - it's on our powered-by page :)

Posted by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr>.
Salut,

OK, so a new thread called "Objective Comparison between Freemarker and
Velocity" would be a better idea .

There is probably a need for people to know what other solutions are
available, but all this flaming deserves
neither Freemarker nor Velocity.

Both projects can cohabit (I guess that Freemarker is supported by
Niggle in the same way that Velocity is
supported by Turbine - as Freemarker formerly was ).

Why not try and improve each other ?
This can only be done with objectivity .
Geir is leading Velocity's development, and you are leading Freemarker's
development, so subjectivity is on
schedule ! ;-)

Hoping that eveyone can stop insulting each other,
Stéphane

Re: The Limit (formerly: limiting access to a context object's methods)

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Stéphane MOR wrote:
> Jonathan Revusky wrote:
>
>> He did not seem to realize that I am the author of a modestly well
>> known MVC web framework.
>

> You're not. You stated that in one of your endless, pointless emails :
> 03/05/02 : "I have been FreeMarker's lead developer for a little over 2
> months."
> Is Freemarker "a little over 2 months" old ?

Salut, Stéphane.

FreeMarker is a template engine, not an MVC framework.

The MVC framework in question is Niggle at http://niggle.org/

I am the author of that.

> Why not tell the users on **your** mailing list why not to use Velocity
> and let us alone ?
> This mailing list has always been a very rich source of information for
> me, until that sad
> day (03/05/02) when you started marketing *"*your*"* product on this list.

Yes, 2 days ago, yet apparently there has been a lot of flaming over the
past week. I think it's an endemic problem on these lists.

The truth is that it is obnoxious to market a competing product on
somebody else's mailing list. But, since Velocity developers have done
this in the past on other mailing lists, they have no grounds for complaint.

Also, all the people complaining are making matters much worse by trying
to flame me. The one guy flamed me and had so many factual errors in his
flaming that I was *forced* to respond! The problem would be minimized
by not replying.

A+

Jonathan

Re: The Limit (formerly: limiting access to a context object's methods)

Posted by Stéphane MOR <st...@yahoo.fr>.
Jonathan Revusky wrote:

> He did not seem to realize that I am the author of a modestly well
> known MVC web framework.

You're not. You stated that in one of your endless, pointless emails :
03/05/02 : "I have been FreeMarker's lead developer for a little over 2
months."
Is Freemarker "a little over 2 months" old ?

Why not tell the users on **your** mailing list why not to use Velocity
and let us alone ?
This mailing list has always been a very rich source of information for
me, until that sad
day (03/05/02) when you started marketing *"*your*"* product on this list.

Bye,
Stéphane

Re: The Limit (formerly: limiting access to a context object's methods)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 5/5/02 3:00 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> On 5/5/02 1:42 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:
>>
>> [SNIP]
>>

>>> I just don't play the game. I don't adopt the appropriate fawning
>>> attitude. Note the accusatory tone with which Geir says that I don't
>>> think much of the ASF.
>>

>> I think it might be that you tend to insult anyone you come into contact
>> with that doesn't agree with you, and do it in a rather long-winded and
>> tiring manner.  That's my perception, anyway.
>
> Geir, not that I'm keeping exact score or anything, but I suspect that
> you've insulted me far more times in the last 24 hours than I've
> insulted you.
>
> But anyway, there was a point I wanted to bring up. In an earlier
> message, you speculated that I was using FreeMarker to get back at you,
> and then further, that it wasn't really to get back at you, but to get
> at Jon Stevens and you were kind of a proxy for Jon Stevens.

LOL.  That wasn't what I said, and you know it.  You are projecting again.

> Something like that.
>
> There's something I want to say about this. Is the above not a bit of a
> paranoid delusion? I mean, the sheer amount of work I've put into
> FreeMarker over the past couple of months to put out the Lazarus release
> is quite large. To think that I put in that work just to get at you or
> Jon Stevens verges on the delusional.

I can't say why you did the work.  I don't care.  You are here for another
reason though...

> I mean, I know that you yourself are important in your own life. (This
> much stands to reason.) But you have to learn to look at this from the
> other guy's point of view. You are simply not important enough to me for
> me to put in that kind of effort on your account. Nor is Jon Stevens.
> Nor is ASF, for that matter.
>
> I put in the work into FreeMarker for the pure pleasure and satisfaction
> of doing it. And yes, there are ulterior motives. I think it will raise
> my professional profile and help me make contacts. It provides a good
> showpiece of my software engineering skills.
>
> But anyway, I don't think you should repeat any of that paranoid
> delusional stuff any more. The appropriate person to bring it up with
> would probably be a mental health professional.

I bet you could recommend one, although clearly not a good one.

> Ciao,
>
> Jonathan Revusky
> --
> Lead developer of FreeMarker http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/
> Build robust web appications with the
> Niggle Web Application Framework http://niggle.org/
> Available for Java/Internet Consulting
>

> P.S. I fished out the exact quote:
>
> "I suspect that this goes back to your problems with Jon Stevens, and
> since niggle didn't give you a platform to go after Turbine, you are
> using FreeMarker in the same way."

So If you had the exact quote, why didn't you go fix the comment above where
you are fantasizing that I think you are trying to get back at me for
something?

Lets drop this.  This is stupid...

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 5/5/02 1:42 PM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:

[SNIP]

> I just don't play the game. I don't adopt the appropriate fawning
> attitude. Note the accusatory tone with which Geir says that I don't
> think much of the ASF.

I think it might be that you tend to insult anyone you come into contact
with that doesn't agree with you, and do it in a rather long-winded and
tiring manner.  That's my perception, anyway.

> <sigh>
>
> I mean, suppose that's the case. So what? I mean what is happening here
> is that the jakarta/apache culture is a very aggressive sort of culture
> where, beneath a veil of phony civility, you have a sort of sneering,
> sarcastic attitude. There's a kind of intellectual bullying or
> browbeating that is very commonplace on these lists. I don't like it.

I don't agree with your assessment, but, as they say, 'whatever...'

> The reason I infuriate people is simply because I don't play the game.
> People cannot stand me because I simply don't put up with any of their
> bullshit.

I know this will be a disappointment, but I think this 'infuriation' is in
your own mind...

[SNIP]

> Now, of course, this drives people crazy, I know. :-) But it's all
> really quite funny. <LOL>

And sad, too.

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Terry Steichen wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> [I swore I was going to ignore you.  But coudn't resist - just one more
> time....]
>
> Some people think its great fun to create a strawman and then knock it down.

Excuse me. What is the strawman argument in question?

> (Boy, look at me!  Aren't I clever/smart/assertive/etc.?)  That they're
> wasting everyone else's time and patience doesn't bother them a whit - hey,
> they're having fun.

This is completely ridiculous.

Terry, you are wasting your own time. I cannot put a gun to your head
and force you to waste your time writing silly messages. You are doing
so of your own free will.

> The fact that Velocity was derived from WebMacro is, as you say, well known
> and not disputed.  No one on this list is arguing with you about that - why
> keep bringing it up?

I pointed it out in a specific context, Velocity's lack of floating
point. The specific reason that Velocity lacks floating point is because
they were copying WebMacro. If you suppose, contrary to fact, that
WebMacro had had floating point, then Velocity would as well, because
they would have copied it. Thus, the main reason Velocity does not have
floating point is because WM didn't. I rest my case.

Geir has claimed that "everybody knows the reasons for Velocity not
having floating point" -- except for me. Maybe he's right. But AFAICT,
the reason Velocity does not have floating point is the one I stated.

> Similarly the fact that neither Velocity nor (at least the original)
> WebMacro supports a break directive is also another fact not in disupute.
> Why keep bringing it up?

I brought it up once and somebody saw fit to flame me and my work. He
announced it. This is apparently my fault.

> What appears to disturb you (greatly) is that you think this omission is a
> bad thing and Geir does not.

I am not disturbed at all by Velocity's lack of a break instruction.
BTW, does WebMacro have a break instruction?

Anyway, I am indifferent as to whether Velocity has a break instruction,
quite frankly. I simply informed the person asking about it that FM had
that.

> What's the big deal?  Can't people
> legitimately disagree, or is it your view that unless you personally believe
> something is right, it's wrong?

People can disagree with me. That's not the issue.

Look, I know what's causing the strife here.

I just don't play the game. I don't adopt the appropriate fawning
attitude. Note the accusatory tone with which Geir says that I don't
think much of the ASF.

<sigh>

I mean, suppose that's the case. So what? I mean what is happening here
is that the jakarta/apache culture is a very aggressive sort of culture
where, beneath a veil of phony civility, you have a sort of sneering,
sarcastic attitude. There's a kind of intellectual bullying or
browbeating that is very commonplace on these lists. I don't like it.

The reason I infuriate people is simply because I don't play the game.
People cannot stand me because I simply don't put up with any of their
bullshit.

In fact, I don't put up with bullshit generally. For example, your
statement that I was wasting *your* time. That's bullshit. You chose to
write the post that I am now replying to of your own free will.

So don't repeat that particular silliness, because I will just point out
that it's bullshit. Really, you should maintain a higher standard of
discourse and not just say anything.

All of this seems reasonable to me. Moreover, I believe you would be
hard pressed to explain why that is not reasonable.

Now, of course, this drives people crazy, I know. :-) But it's all
really quite funny. <LOL>

> And as to uncivility, just look at your record on this list of very rude
> comments (more of which I expect in response to this message).

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Terry.

I was somewhat rude to Jonah Benton. However, this is a guy who
announces that he's going to take the opportunity to flame me. He also
lectured me pedantically about what MVC was about. He did not seem to
realize that I am the author of a modestly well known MVC web framework.
  He also started lecturing me about where FreeMarker was heading. I
think that it's absurd to suggest that he deserved any better response
than he got from me.

> Terry Steichen
>
> PS: You said my labeling of your comments as 'snide' was wrong, because they
> were, in your words, 'factual'.  Hmm, facts cannot be expressed in snide
> ways - must be another Revusky-ism?

Sorry, Terry. You said "simply snide" as in "snide, and nothing more".
The comments were more than "simply snide". They were factual and
pertinent to the matter in question.

Cheers,

Jonathan Revusky

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Jonathan,

[I swore I was going to ignore you.  But coudn't resist - just one more
time....]

Some people think its great fun to create a strawman and then knock it down.
(Boy, look at me!  Aren't I clever/smart/assertive/etc.?)  That they're
wasting everyone else's time and patience doesn't bother them a whit - hey,
they're having fun.

The fact that Velocity was derived from WebMacro is, as you say, well known
and not disputed.  No one on this list is arguing with you about that - why
keep bringing it up?

Similarly the fact that neither Velocity nor (at least the original)
WebMacro supports a break directive is also another fact not in disupute.
Why keep bringing it up?

What appears to disturb you (greatly) is that you think this omission is a
bad thing and Geir does not.  What's the big deal?  Can't people
legitimately disagree, or is it your view that unless you personally believe
something is right, it's wrong?

And as to uncivility, just look at your record on this list of very rude
comments (more of which I expect in response to this message).

Terry Steichen

PS: You said my labeling of your comments as 'snide' was wrong, because they
were, in your words, 'factual'.  Hmm, facts cannot be expressed in snide
ways - must be another Revusky-ism?

<rest snipped for brevity>

Re: The Limit (formerly: limiting access to a context object's methods)

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On 5/5/02 11:00 AM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:
>

>>Terry Steichen wrote:
>>
>>>Jonathan,
>>>
>>>I've been reading this 'discussion' with something between awe and
>>>revulsion.  You are clearly very smart and (I think) knowlegeable.  I don't
>>>know much about your FreeMarker project, but I suspect it is pretty good.
>>>
>>>Geir, whatever you think of him (not much, from your comments) is
>>>remarkable.  He has the energy of 10 and is also incredibly smart and
>>>eloquent - and *very* helpful to people who ask for help.  To label Velocity
>>>as a 'copy-cat' technology is simply snide.
>>
>>I disagree. It's not "simply snide". It's factual. Velocity was
>>consciously created as a WebMacro clone. That much is is not a matter of
>>legitimate debate. It is openly admittedly on the Velocity web pages.
>>Once you know the history of the project, the reason that VTL does not
>>have floating point arithmetic is quite obvious. The thing they were
>>copying did not have floating point. That Geir then wants to represent
>>that this deficiency was a result of some conscious design decision that
>>*they* made -- that, to me, bears a clear whiff of mendacity.
>

> Set em up and knock em down.  Straw everywhere...

You keep claiming that I make straw-man arguments but you are never
specific about what the argument is and why it is a straw-man.

What straw-man argument are you referring to?

> [SNIP]
>
>>I am being civil with you. Let me review. You have taken issue with my
>>statement that Velocity is, in your paraphrase "a copy-cat technology".
>

> It is indeed.

Yep.

> We thank the WebMacro community for their pioneering work on our site and
> every place that is appropriate (like articles.)
>
> Freemarker is a copy-cat as well,

Well, hold on. FreeMarker is most certainly not a copy-cat product in
the way Velocity is. It is not the result of anybody sitting down and
consciously writing a tweedledum-tweedledee copy of an existing product.

I have never done such a thing and I would never do that. Well, maybe if
I was paid to do that, I would, but just for the hell of it?

> unless you are going to claim that
> templating didn't exist before Freemarker was created.

The product *category* existed, but it was not written as a conscious
knock-off clone of any existing product.

> And now Freemarker
> has copied the introspection from WebMacro/Velocity, and you are about to
> copy the introspective restriction mechanism from Velocity.

The last part is not true, because I had the idea independently. I
distinctly remember writing Attila Szegedi about it and him telling me
that Velocity was going to have this. And that was the first I heard of it.

In any case, there is a difference between adapting the best ideas that
are floating around and writing a complete knock-off clone of somebody
else's work. I have too much self respect to do something like that and
I also consider that to be in very questionable taste.

Now, you obviously differ and see no problem with cloning other people's
work like that. So, given that, I don't see what the issue is about my
pointing out that that's what you did.

Regards,

Jonathan Revusky

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 5/5/02 11:00 AM, "Jonathan Revusky" <jr...@terra.es> wrote:

> Terry Steichen wrote:
>> Jonathan,
>>
>> I've been reading this 'discussion' with something between awe and
>> revulsion.  You are clearly very smart and (I think) knowlegeable.  I don't
>> know much about your FreeMarker project, but I suspect it is pretty good.
>>
>> Geir, whatever you think of him (not much, from your comments) is
>> remarkable.  He has the energy of 10 and is also incredibly smart and
>> eloquent - and *very* helpful to people who ask for help.  To label Velocity
>> as a 'copy-cat' technology is simply snide.
>
> I disagree. It's not "simply snide". It's factual. Velocity was
> consciously created as a WebMacro clone. That much is is not a matter of
> legitimate debate. It is openly admittedly on the Velocity web pages.
> Once you know the history of the project, the reason that VTL does not
> have floating point arithmetic is quite obvious. The thing they were
> copying did not have floating point. That Geir then wants to represent
> that this deficiency was a result of some conscious design decision that
> *they* made -- that, to me, bears a clear whiff of mendacity.

Set em up and knock em down.  Straw everywhere...

[SNIP]

> I am being civil with you. Let me review. You have taken issue with my
> statement that Velocity is, in your paraphrase "a copy-cat technology".

It is indeed.

We thank the WebMacro community for their pioneering work on our site and
every place that is appropriate (like articles.)

Freemarker is a copy-cat as well, unless you are going to claim that
templating didn't exist before Freemarker was created. And now Freemarker
has copied the introspection from WebMacro/Velocity, and you are about to
copy the introspective restriction mechanism from Velocity.   That's the
nice thing about this stuff being open source - we all learn and take from
each other.

> However, the statement is factual. Also, the statement was not
> gratuitous, because I was taking issue with the claim that the lack of
> floating point in VTL was the result of a conscious design decision on
> their part. Well, I guess it is true in a *sense* that they made the
> conscious design decision to omit floating point -- insofar as they made
> the conscious design decision to copy WebMacro and WebMacro did not have
> floating point...

More straw...

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Terry Steichen wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> I've been reading this 'discussion' with something between awe and
> revulsion.  You are clearly very smart and (I think) knowlegeable.  I don't
> know much about your FreeMarker project, but I suspect it is pretty good.
>
> Geir, whatever you think of him (not much, from your comments) is
> remarkable.  He has the energy of 10 and is also incredibly smart and
> eloquent - and *very* helpful to people who ask for help.  To label Velocity
> as a 'copy-cat' technology is simply snide.

I disagree. It's not "simply snide". It's factual. Velocity was
consciously created as a WebMacro clone. That much is is not a matter of
legitimate debate. It is openly admittedly on the Velocity web pages.
Once you know the history of the project, the reason that VTL does not
have floating point arithmetic is quite obvious. The thing they were
copying did not have floating point. That Geir then wants to represent
that this deficiency was a result of some conscious design decision that
*they* made -- that, to me, bears a clear whiff of mendacity. Only
people who are unaware of the history of the project would take that
statement seriously.

In any case, in one of the recent messages Geir has argued that it is
inappropriate for me to tell somebody that FM has floating point support
and Velocity does not. Why? Because (according to him) the lack of
floating point was a design decision of theirs. Well, does that make any
sense to you? What difference does it make what the reason is? If I say
it does not have that feature and my statement is factual, what is his
grievance?

You know, he's perfectly free to explain his reasons why Vel lacks
floating point. It's probably a FAQ. So here's a potential FAQ entry:

Q. Why doesn't Velocity have floating point arithmetic?

A. WebMacro didn't have it, and we never added it subsequently because
we, in our infinite wisdom, decided that you don't need it. (And don't
ever bring this up, because if you remind us that Vel lacks floating
point, we get angry.)

> I am using Velocity, not because I've concluded that it is the best
> technology available, but because it is *very* good and quite acceptable for
> my needs.

You are now at least the second person who feels obliged to justify to
me why they are using Velocity. There is no need, Terry. The psychology
of this is interesting. Why are you doing this?

> I for one would greatly appreciate it if you would 'butt out' of this list.
> I'm (and always have been) open to new ideas and new technology - but I have
> limits about how much uncivility I can accept in the process.

Well, from my past experience as a lurker, Jakarta is the wrong to place
to be if you don't like a lack of civility.

I am being civil with you. Let me review. You have taken issue with my
statement that Velocity is, in your paraphrase "a copy-cat technology".
However, the statement is factual. Also, the statement was not
gratuitous, because I was taking issue with the claim that the lack of
floating point in VTL was the result of a conscious design decision on
their part. Well, I guess it is true in a *sense* that they made the
conscious design decision to omit floating point -- insofar as they made
the conscious design decision to copy WebMacro and WebMacro did not have
floating point...

But look, I'm just stating things that I know to be true and I am
stating them in good faith. You might want to examine why that creates
such a problem.

Regards,

Jonathan Revusky

Posted by Jonathan Revusky <jr...@terra.es>.
Anthony Eden wrote:
> +1
>
> Sincerely,
> Anthony Eden
>
> PS: There must be some sort of cosmic disturbance right now, because I
> have been seeing an inordinate amount of flaming on Jakarta mailing
> lists over the last week.

That's news to me, Anthony. I've only been subscribed to this list for 2
days and I'm not subscribed to any others, yet you speak of the last
week and list(s) in the plural.

Within the first 24 hours, somebody decided they were going to "take the
opportunity to flame freemarker". <shrug> Started lecturing me in a
pedantic way about MVC etcetera.

I think you're right. It probably is a bad alignment of the planets.
I'll bring it up with God next I talk with her.

Ciao,

Jonathan Revusky

Posted by Anthony Eden <ae...@signaturedomains.com>.
+1

Sincerely,
Anthony Eden

PS: There must be some sort of cosmic disturbance right now, because I
have been seeing an inordinate amount of flaming on Jakarta mailing
lists over the last week.  In the immortal words of War: "Why can't we
be friends?" ;-)