Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Eric Plante <pl...@videotron.ca> on 2005/11/05 01:27:46 UTC

html:textarea with tags

Hi,

I'd like to use a html:textarea tag but my html tags in the text aren't
parsed and there is no filter like bean:write has, Is there a way to make
that tag parse html tags?

Thanks

Re: html:textarea with tags

Posted by Christian Bollmeyer <ja...@christianbollmeyer.de>.
Murray Collingwood schrieb:

> If you know of any sites providing formatted text inside a textarea I would be really
> interested (as would most readers) please post the link.

It's not possible in plain HTML, but in JavaScript (to some
degree). There are a lot of such scripts on the web, many of
them commercial and not too cheap. In those rare instances
where we *have* to allow the user to enter HTML input (which
generally is not the best of ideas, as you have to filter
the entire input later due to possible CSS attacks), we
normally use this one:

http://www.dynarch.com/projects/htmlarea/

which 'enhances' a normal <texarea> and therefore is also
compatible with Struts. Works with IE, Mozilla and Firefox;
users of other browsers have to cope with the HTML tags.

Another popular choice would be the FCKEditor

http://www.fckeditor.net/

but IIRC that one is *completely* JavaScript-based
now and I never tried it in a web app.

Something I still have to look at is TinyMCE:

http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/

This one is used in the popular Mambo/Joomla! CMS
software and might also be worth looking at.

HTH,
-- Chris

Re: html:textarea with tags

Posted by Murray Collingwood <mu...@focus-computing.com.au>.
I believe you will find that a textarea doesn't support any embedded html codes.
Everything is treated as plain text no matter what it contains.  Even <!-- --> is treated as
text.

Re: html:textarea with tags

Posted by Eric Plante <pl...@videotron.ca>.
Why? The taglib is fine and it shows the text; the problem is that the text
that is supposed to be printed out also includes some pure html tags which
aren't parsed.

Ex: if I have <font color='red'>some text</font> the textarea print that
litteraly instead of printing the text in red.

With bean:write, the filter=false print the text in red but textarea doesn't
have a filter attribute so I was wondering if there was a way to print the
text in red in a textarea taglib.

> Sounds like you are missing your taglib definition for "html"?  Can you
post your JSP
> file?
>
> mc
>

> On 4 Nov 2005 at 19:27, Eric Plante wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to use a html:textarea tag but my html tags in the text aren't
> > parsed and there is no filter like bean:write has, Is there a way to
make
> > that tag parse html tags?
> >
> > Thanks

3/11/2005