Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com> on 2011/03/01 12:41:04 UTC

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Hi,

So, where I should start ?

Kind regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
Kapituła Javarsovia http://javarsovia.pl

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2011/3/1 Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>:
> Based on what I know of OGNL, it is/was reasonably well used. Trying
> to merge it into another project doesn't help those existing users.

Yep, that's true

> The question is what are the author(s) of OGNL looking for? A home for
> maintainance? The Apache brand? To reinvigorate it? The latter fits
> with a merger into other projects. The former should make commons ask
> if it wants to become a home for maintainance mode (not necessarily a
> bad thing).

A home, right now OGNL is homeless and ownerless. As I know, Struts 2
and Tapestry are both using it extensively.

Kind regards

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
@Stephen: OGNL is currently ownerless, as Lukasz reported, and he's
the only one maintainer on github. Original authors agreed on donating
the to the ASF, I suppose to provide OGNL community the
support/maintainance that deserves. Someone else didn't agree already
on taking in consideration yet another expression language, due to EL
and JEXL already on Commons, that's why we proposed BeanUtils/JEXL. I
would be the first happy on having it as a proper component.

@Paul: sounds reasonable IMHO, even if the OGNL project looks more
like a general purpose expression language, not strictly related to
Struts. Personally there are still good reason to propose OGNL here at
Commons, even if the Struts path would be acceptable

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Nuwan Arambage <nu...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the  mistake.in last mail, he asked for one more. I thought I do
can reply for it. Thanks for your advice and I would be keeping it in mind
as a beginner.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Antonio Petrelli <antonio.petrelli@gmail.com

--
 Fail again. Fail better

With Regards ,
Nuwan  Arambage

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Nuwan Arambage <nu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

<lu...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> One more :-)
>

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
> Confitura 2011 http://confitura.pl

 Fail again. Fail better

With Regards ,
Nuwan  Arambage

Fwd: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
One more :-)

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
Confitura 2011 http://confitura.pl

you can count on me too, feel free to tell me how I can help you (I've
already subscribed on every apache commons mailing list and incubator
one too)

On 3 March 2011 12:04, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Antonio suggested, is anybody else interested here in supporting
> OGNL and the whole incubation process ?

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
> Confitura 2011 http://confitura.pl

Maurizio Cucchiara

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <ma...@gmail.com>.
You're welcome

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2011/3/3 Maurizio Cucchiara <ma...@gmail.com>:
> Lukasz,
> you can count on me too, feel free to tell me how I can help you (I've
> already subscribed on every apache commons mailing list and incubator
> one too)

Thanks Maurizio!

Regards

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <ma...@gmail.com>.
Lukasz,
you can count on me too, feel free to tell me how I can help you (I've
already subscribed on every apache commons mailing list and incubator
one too)

On 3 March 2011 12:04, Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Antonio suggested, is anybody else interested here in supporting
> OGNL and the whole incubation process ?

> Regards
> --
> Łukasz
> + 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/
> Confitura 2011 http://confitura.pl

Maurizio Cucchiara

Fwd: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
FYI

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
FYI

Count me in for backup. If someone gets tied up with day work and you need
an extra hand, I will help take over for that person the best I can.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: OGNL as a part of Commons

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 3/3/11 9:24 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
> That's an incredible idea Phil, thanks for your kind feedback!
> I already started preparing the proposal[1] and sill looking for
> Sponsor/Champions/Mentors, I like the idea of OGNL as Commons
> Component and we're waiting for feedbacks from Apache Struts, maybe
> they're interested too, the we will have to take a decision.
>
> In any case, I take in charge of calling the vote.
>
> Would you be interested on being Champion/Mentor? I know you're
> super-busy but I'd really like you involved given the fact how you
> leas people! :)
I would love to do this, but I am unfortunately over-subscribed
already.  I will try to help encourage others to step up if necessary.

Thanks!

Phil

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2011/3/3 Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>:
> Looks like Antonio is interested and
> it would be very nice if he joins.

In fact I am, Tiles also uses OGNL via a separate module.
Once I created a proposal for a subproject for Tiles but it failed:
https://cwiki.apache.org/TILES/dimensionsincubationproposal.html
However the "real" proposal was this:
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/KaolinProposal
but it is currently down.

Feel free to start writing the proposal using these bases (or others),
count on me on fixing terms that may be incorrect.
Oh, and suscribe to general@incubator.a.o

Antonio

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
I'm interested and would be more than glad on helping OGNL to join the
Incubator, count on me to prepare the proposal.
I know that this topic should maybe be discussed elsewhere, but before
putting an end to this thread I'd like to ask who's interested,
between Commons devs, on joining? Looks like Antonio is interested and
it would be very nice if he joins.
Anyone more? :)
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> Based on what I know of OGNL, it is/was reasonably well used. Trying
> to merge it into another project doesn't help those existing users.
>
> The question is what are the author(s) of OGNL looking for? A home for
> maintainance? The Apache brand? To reinvigorate it? The latter fits
> with a merger into other projects. The former should make commons ask
> if it wants to become a home for maintainance mode (not necessarily a
> bad thing).
>
> I'm certainly arguing against a straight push into BeanUtils or JEXL.

+1

- Jörg

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Henri,

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Re: OGNL as a part of Commons

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi all guys,
I personally like the proposal and think that OGNL is a nice piece of
software that Commons could only benefit if it will join.
As I previously expressed, IMHO OGNL could be merged to BeanUtils that
already supports the same features, but in a less sophisticated way;
BeanUtils could only than benefit from this merge.
Moreover the OGNL project is widely adopted in sever closed/oss
projects, I don't see any potential risk of failure. And it is already
licensed under ASL2.0.
What are your thoughts about it? I'm available on helping Lucasz for
the move and the OGNL community.
Looking forward to see your feedbacks, have a nice day,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/