Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org> on 2019/03/16 20:30:39 UTC

Next release of POI/XmlBeans?

Hi *,

I'm currently working on getting XmlBeans fit for Java 9+ - i.e. moving the resources from /schemaorg_apache_xmlbeans to a real package and being compatible to former releases - and it gives me a bit of a hard time.

But nevertheless we might want push the next release for POI and XmlBeans.

I'm busy next week, but could take care about the releases the week afterwards.

How is everyone with the current snapshot of both?

Anyone willing to jump in as a release manager?

Andi

Re: Next release of POI/XmlBeans?

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Yeah, good time to release some of the bugfixes that went into both source
trees!

Dominik.

Posted by "pj.fanning" <fa...@yahoo.com>.
I've dropped the xmlbeans staging jars.

--
Sent from: http://apache-poi.1045710.n5.nabble.com/POI-Dev-f2312866.html

Re: Next release of POI/XmlBeans?

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

The first link actually compared current 4.1.0 to "4.0.2-SNAPSHOT", i.e.
some intermediate version. I have now re-run the comparison against 4.0.1
(called 4.0.1RC2 in my database), results are similar, but not fully equal.

The new comparison is available at the following links:

   - 4.0.1-RC2 to 4.1.0-RC1
   <http://people.apache.org/~centic/poi_regression/reports/index401RC2to410RC1.html>
   - 4.1.0-RC1-All
   <http://people.apache.org/~centic/poi_regression/reportsAll/index401RC2to410RC1.html>

There are always a few possibilities for differences, some change actually
broke something that worked before. These are the changes that we are
looking for and should try to fix before release.

But sometimes we do more checks in the regression tests, then also some
files may fail which worked before (this time at least the ones with
HSSFOptimiser.optimiseFonts in the stacktrace).  These do not need to be
fixed as it was caused by production-code change.

Finally sometimes new support for features triggers new failures, e.g. by
making it possible to handle more types of images, we triggered a few
things in the slideshow-handling. We can try to fix those, but sometimes it
is hard and we may decide to release nevertheless.

Dominik.

Posted by Greg Woolsey <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi Greg,

> 1. what work remains before releasing a new XMLBeans?

I'm not committing to trunk currently, but to a branch. I'm not planning to include my changes in the current release, as I haven't tested them yet thoroughly.

> 2. How do I build, tag, and release XMLBeans?

tag: via svn

build: ant package

release:
create sha files manually - actually you still need to create sha1/md5 because of INFRA-14923
via svn -> upload to dist area
and via nexus upload + own pom.xml

> 3. What version numbers do we want to use?

your versions are correct

The high "don't screw this up" quotient is good, at least we benefit if someone else is looking through the process.
The only bit which is kind of irreversible is the nexus release to maven central, which has to be manually invoked.

So give it a go, we will have a look at the release candidate files anyways.

Thank you for taking care of the releases.

Posted by Greg Woolsey <gr...@gmail.com>.
OK, I think I'm reasonably familiar now with the POI release build
process, thank you to all who have contributed to the detailed
release-guide.txt.

However, there is no such document I can find for XMLBeans, and it
sounds like there may be an open question or two there?

Further, if I'm reading the emails correctly, there are changes to
XMLBeans that should be released first, so that POI can be updated to
use that new version before building a POI release candidate.  Is that
correct?

So, my questions, for timing and completeness, are:

1. what work remains before releasing a new XMLBeans?
2. How do I build, tag, and release XMLBeans?
3. What version numbers do we want to use?  These seem to be the next ones up:
   - XMLBeans 3.0.3
   - POI 4.1.0

I'm sure there will be more, not having driven a release before, and
experiencing a high "don't screw this up" quotient :)

Greg

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Woolsey <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@apache.org>.
+1 to release.

The snapshots are in a good shape and we've fixed  a solid number of bugs
since last release.

Yegor