Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2002/10/14 13:34:34 UTC

New "Using Forrest" doc

Just checked into CVS a fairly substantial doc on using Forrest in new
projects. The TOC is:

    * Introduction
    * Getting the Forrest source
    * Building and Installing Forrest
    * Seeding a new project
    * Seeding an existing project
    * Customizing your project
          o Configuring the Forrest skin: skinconf.xml
          o Changing the layout: forrest.properties
    * Adding content
          o book.xml
          o tabs.xml
          o Images
    * Advanced customizations: sitemap.xmap
          o Example: Adding a new content type
          o Example: integrating external RSS content
          o Example: Generating PNG from SVG
    * Forrest skins
          o Defining a new skin
    * Forrest webapps: developing docs faster
          o Installing a servlet engine
          o Generating a site webapp
          o Using the webapp
    * XML validation
          o Case study: setting up xmllint

Does anyone know who to bug about getting xml.apache.org/forrest updated?

--Jeff

Re: New "Using Forrest" doc

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 01:04:25PM -0500, fallen wrote:
> hello,
>
> building a site using forrest.  i have seeded a directory with the new
> forrest dist build, however i am having a problem getting the forrestbot
> (sorry my terminology for this stuff sucks right now) to recognize and
> process .xml files within directories under xdocs.
>
> For example, it will not turn realms/index.xml into an html file, and
> reports it as a broken link.  the file is mentioned in the book.xml
> located in the directory,

In the xdocs/ directory, the realms/ directory or both? Typically it
should be in both directories' book.xml files.

> and the directory is mentioned in tabs.xml.  what criteria does the
> forrest bot use to decide what xml files to proccess and which to
> ignore?  this is my main point of confusion at the moment.

It processes all files that are <link>'ed to, or mentioned in book.xml.
So if your src/documentation/content/xdocs/book.xml has:

<menu-item label="Realms" href="realms/index.html"/>

and realms/ has book.xml and index.xml, it should all work. I can send
you a demo if you like.

--Jeff

(PS: forrestbot is something different.. you're using "the shbat
distribution of Forrest")

Re: New "Using Forrest" doc

Posted by fallen <fa...@frognet.net>.
hello,

building a site using forrest.  i have seeded a directory with the new
forrest dist build, however i am having a problem getting the forrestbot
(sorry my terminology for this stuff sucks right now) to recognize and
process .xml files within directories under xdocs.

For example, it will not turn realms/index.xml into an html file, and
reports it as a broken link.  the file is mentioned in the book.xml
located in the directory, and the directory is mentioned in tabs.xml.

Re: New "Using Forrest" doc

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Marc Portier wrote:

> or: maybe a silly idea, but if daedalus would allow for checking in a
> zip or jar of all the content in cvs (and unzipping that for us) instead
> of all the separate files...

Spent weeks discussing this with root & infrastructure@apache.org

We are able to do whatever we want (Nicola & I have accounts), but we
are 'on our own' - I'd rather go for a solution which can be reused by
other projects.

CVS as a staging mechanism for generated HTML seems like pretty strange
to me, but we should come up with a solid alternative.

> this looses the merge and diff's of course (but that is in our own
> repository and based on the xml), and blows up the size of the
> 'publishing'- repository I guess, but it gives a view on 'version of our
> site' in terms of a single consistent file to check out, and it requires
> less of a security and management hastle then...

Which was our case to the levels up - to no avail :-|

</Steven>

Re: New "Using Forrest" doc

Posted by Marc Portier <mp...@outerthought.org>.

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Steven, can we somehow make the bot do this every day or so?
>> Was it that a CVS import can be done multiple times on the same CVS tree?
>

> Not that I'm aware off, but I could try & check again. Don't bet too
> much on it, however.
>
>> What was the catch?
>

> Directories & CVS ... :-(

indeed: generating the needed 'cvs add' and 'cvs remove' stuff is
the truble, anyone good ideas? crawl trough the tree and get
sensible info from a 'cvs status' to make solid choices on each
level?

or: maybe a silly idea, but if daedalus would allow for checking
in a zip or jar of all the content in cvs (and unzipping that for
us) instead of all the separate files...

this looses the merge and diff's of course (but that is in our
own repository and based on the xml), and blows up the size of
the 'publishing'- repository I guess, but it gives a view on
'version of our site' in terms of a single consistent file to
check out, and it requires less of a security and management
hastle then...

> We could set up an rsync bot on daedalus running under one of our
> accounts, fetching the site from outerthought.net or cocoondev.org
> (which is more properly secured than ot.net for which I'm the sole
> sysadmin)
>
> </Steven>

-marc=

Re: New "Using Forrest" doc

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Steven, can we somehow make the bot do this every day or so?
> Was it that a CVS import can be done multiple times on the same CVS tree?

Not that I'm aware off, but I could try & check again. Don't bet too
much on it, however.

> What was the catch?

Directories & CVS ... :-(

Re: New "Using Forrest" doc

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 01:54:16PM +0200, Bert Van Kets wrote:
>>
>>> Steven had done it before. He's your man. :-)
>>> From what I understood from him every Forrest committer should have
>>> access to the Apache Forrest site, but it's not easy to get into.  I
>>> don't have the time right now. Sorry
>>> Bert
>>

>> No rush.. I'll see if Steven is feeling keen, otherwise I'll suck up to
>> root@ for an account on daedalus.
>

> No account needed - just generate docs and check them into CVS, module
> xml-site/targets/forrest on cvs.apache.org - a script on daedalus then
> cvs-updates them into the live site
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/xml-site/targets/forrest/
>
> root wants to have as little accounts on daedalus as possible - hence
> using cvs as a staging mechanism
>
> the script runs every 6 hours IIRC.
>
> OK with you? Let me know if it works out!

Steven, can we somehow make the bot do this every day or so?
Was it that a CVS import can be done multiple times on the same CVS tree?
What was the catch?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: New "Using Forrest" doc

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Re: New "Using Forrest" doc

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: New "Using Forrest" doc

Posted by Bert Van Kets <be...@vankets.com>.
Steven had done it before. He's your man. :-)
 From what I understood from him every Forrest committer should have access