Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Rory Waite <rw...@sdl.com> on 2016/07/18 16:34:04 UTC

spark-submit local and Akka startup timeouts

Hi All,

We have created a regression test for a spark job that is executed during our automated build. It executes a spark-submit with a local master, processes some data, and the exits. We have an issue in that we get a non-deterministic timeout error. It seems to be when the spark context tries to initialise Akka (stack trace below). It doesn't happen often, but when it does it causes the whole build to fail.

The machines that run these tests get very heavily loaded, with many regression tests running simultaneously. My theory is that the spark-submit is sometimes unable to initialise Akka in time because the machines are so heavily loaded with the other tests. My first thought was to try to tune some parameter to extend the timeout, but I couldn't find anything in the documentation. The timeout is short at 10s, whereas the default akka timeout is set at 100s.

Is there a way to adjust this timeout?

16/07/17 00:04:22 ERROR SparkContext: Error initializing SparkContext.
java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Futures timed out after [10000 milliseconds]
at scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.ready(Promise.scala:219)
at scala.concurrent.impl.Promise$DefaultPromise.result(Promise.scala:223)
at scala.concurrent.Await$$anonfun$result$1.apply(package.scala:107)
at scala.concurrent.BlockContext$DefaultBlockContext$.blockOn(BlockContext.scala:53)
at scala.concurrent.Await$.result(package.scala:107)
at akka.remote.Remoting.start(Remoting.scala:179)
at akka.remote.RemoteActorRefProvider.init(RemoteActorRefProvider.scala:184)
at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl.liftedTree2$1(ActorSystem.scala:620)
at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl._start$lzycompute(ActorSystem.scala:617)
at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl._start(ActorSystem.scala:617)
at akka.actor.ActorSystemImpl.start(ActorSystem.scala:634)
at akka.actor.ActorSystem$.apply(ActorSystem.scala:142)
at akka.actor.ActorSystem$.apply(ActorSystem.scala:119)
at org.apache.spark.util.AkkaUtils$.org$apache$spark$util$AkkaUtils$$doCreateActorSystem(AkkaUtils.scala:121)
at org.apache.spark.util.AkkaUtils$$anonfun$1.apply(AkkaUtils.scala:53)
at org.apache.spark.util.AkkaUtils$$anonfun$1.apply(AkkaUtils.scala:52)
at org.apache.spark.util.Utils$$anonfun$startServiceOnPort$1.apply$mcVI$sp(Utils.scala:1964)
at scala.collection.immutable.Range.foreach$mVc$sp(Range.scala:141)
at org.apache.spark.util.Utils$.startServiceOnPort(Utils.scala:1955)
at org.apache.spark.util.AkkaUtils$.createActorSystem(AkkaUtils.scala:55)
at org.apache.spark.SparkEnv$.create(SparkEnv.scala:266)
at org.apache.spark.SparkEnv$.createDriverEnv(SparkEnv.scala:193)
at org.apache.spark.SparkContext.createSparkEnv(SparkContext.scala:288)
at org.apache.spark.SparkContext.<init>(SparkContext.scala:457)
at com.sdl.nntrainer.NNTrainer$.main(NNTrainer.scala:418)
at com.sdl.nntrainer.NNTrainer.main(NNTrainer.scala)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.org$apache$spark$deploy$SparkSubmit$$runMain(SparkSubmit.scala:731)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.doRunMain$1(SparkSubmit.scala:181)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.submit(SparkSubmit.scala:206)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.main(SparkSubmit.scala:121)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit.main(SparkSubmit.scala)
16/07/17 00:04:22 INFO RemoteActorRefProvider$RemotingTerminator: Shutting down remote daemon.
16/07/17 00:04:22 INFO SparkContext: Successfully stopped SparkContext
Exception in thread "main" java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Futures timed out after [10000 milliseconds]
[...]

 [http://dr0muzwhcp26z.cloudfront.net/static/corporate/SDL-logo-2014.png] <www.sdl.com/>
www.sdl.com

SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved. If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us.

SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.

Re: spark-submit local and Akka startup timeouts

Posted by Bryan Cutler <cu...@gmail.com>.
The patch I was referring to doesn't help on the ActorSystem startup
unfortunately.  As best I can tell the property
"akka.remote.startup-timeout" is what controls this timeout.  You can try
setting this to something greater in your Spark conf and hopefully that
would work.  Otherwise you might have luck trying a more recent version of
Spark, such as 1.6.2 or even 2.0.0 (soon to be released) which no longer
uses Akka and the ActorSystem.  Hope that helps!

Posted by Rory Waite <rw...@sdl.com>.

 [http://dr0muzwhcp26z.cloudfront.net/static/corporate/SDL-logo-2014.png] <http://www.sdl.com/>
www.sdl.com<http://www.sdl.com>

This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. www.websense.com<http://www.websense.com/>