Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Daniel <em...@7thfire.com> on 2006/10/03 22:13:37 UTC

Re: RE: useless error message

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 05:54:08AM +0200, Gerald Richter wrote:
> Hi,
> >
> > I'm getting this email message when trying to load a page,
> > however, there's no version.pm anywhere that I'm aware of.
> > Also, it doesn't tell me what module is looking for it.
> > Without knowing what module is looking for it, it's really
> > hard to debug. Any tips?
> >

> Embperl itself doesn't use a version.pm. I guess it either some module or
> page (maybe a typo).
>
> I would do a grep -r to find where version.pm might get loaded.

I am aware of that fact. The point is that the error message is useless,
because it doesn't tell me what is trying to use version.pm

--
"You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your
freedom. I hope you will make good use of it." -- John Quincy Adams

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will
they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material
abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

RE: RE: RE: useless error message

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.
hi,

> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 06:33:28AM +0200, Gerald Richter wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > page, however,
> > > really hard to

> > > some module

> > > I am aware of that fact. The point is that the error message is
> > > useless, because it doesn't tell me what is trying to use
> version.pm
> > >

> > That is correct, but I can't tell you either...
> >
> > Embperl just logs the error message it gets from Perl.
>
> when running perl via the commandline, I never get an error where the
> file from which the module is trying to be loaded is missing.
>
> I would see something like:
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at somemodule.pm line 243.
>
> how come embperl is different? Are you sure it's not an embperl thing
> (bug)?

Embperl does not have a version.pm. Doing a

  locate version.pm

On my system, shows that version.pm is part of FCGI.

Do you use the FastCGI module anywhere?

Posted by Daniel <em...@7thfire.com>.
hi,

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 06:33:28AM +0200, Gerald Richter wrote:
> Hi,

> > page, however,
> > really hard to
> > > >

> > > Embperl itself doesn't use a version.pm. I guess it either
> > some module
> > > or page (maybe a typo).
> > >
> > > I would do a grep -r to find where version.pm might get loaded.
> >
> > I am aware of that fact. The point is that the error message
> > is useless, because it doesn't tell me what is trying to use
> > version.pm
> >

> That is correct, but I can't tell you either...
>
> Embperl just logs the error message it gets from Perl.

when running perl via the commandline, I never get an error where the
file from which the module is trying to be loaded is missing.

I would see something like:
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at somemodule.pm line 243.

how come embperl is different? Are you sure it's not an embperl thing
(bug)?

-d

RE: RE: useless error message

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.