Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/13 02:41:46 UTC

SQL reordering defaults

Hi,

It seems like our SQL reordering causes a lot of consternation for new
OpenJPA users. Should we maybe change our defaults so that we assume
"normal" FKs exist for all relationships?

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: SQL reordering defaults

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@apache.org>.
Sounds fair to me. The downside (I assume) is that we'll do extra processing
to determine the correct order. It's at least worth looking into.

-Mike

Re: SQL reordering defaults

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Oct 12, 2007, at 5:41 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems like our SQL reordering causes a lot of consternation for new
> OpenJPA users. Should we maybe change our defaults so that we assume
> "normal" FKs exist for all relationships?

 From my experience, that is what folks will assume, even if the FK
constraints are not declared or automatically detected. And the only
harm in reordering SQL statements is that sometimes OpenJPA would
reorder statements that didn't need to be reordered, or in extreme
cases split a SQL statement into two due to perceived but not real
circular dependencies.

Craig

> -Patrick
>
> --