Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kim Albee <mt...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/14 16:57:31 UTC

downloaded JK binaries for Linux - which to use? workers or prefork?

I need some help -- I'm downloading the JK binaries to get my tomcat
installation working with Apache, and when I go to download the jk binaries
for linux/apache, I see the two files:

jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.14-linux-sles9-x86_64-prefork.so
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.14-linux-sles9-x86_64-worker.so

I'm assuming that i change the names of one of these to mod_jk.so and place
it into the libexec directory for apache, but which one do I use?  what's
the difference?  the Installation and FAQs don't appear to address this...

thanks,
Kim :-)

Re: downloaded JK binaries for Linux - which to use? workers or prefork?

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Prefork:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/prefork.html

Worker:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/worker.html

Kim Albee wrote:
> yes -- but what is the difference?  i'm running Fedora Core 3 on a single
> processor Linux box, running Apache 2.x
>
> what does prefork mean? vs. worker?
>
> thanks,
> Kim :-)
>
> On 6/14/06, David Rees <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/14/06, Kim Albee <mt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I need some help -- I'm downloading the JK binaries to get my tomcat
>> > installation working with Apache, and when I go to download the jk
>> binaries
>> > for linux/apache, I see the two files:
>> >
>> > jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.14-linux-sles9-x86_64-prefork.so
>> > jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.14-linux-sles9-x86_64-worker.so
>> >
>> > I'm assuming that i change the names of one of these to mod_jk.so and
>> place
>> > it into the libexec directory for apache, but which one do I
>> use?  what's
>> > the difference?  the Installation and FAQs don't appear to address
>> this...
>>
>> The name depends on which MPM your Apache is compiled with. Most
>> likely it's the prefork MPM as that is default, but could be the
>> worker MPM.
>>
>> -Dave

Filip Hanik

Re: downloaded JK binaries for Linux - which to use? workers or prefork?

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <al...@yahoo.com>.
--- Kim Albee <mt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> yes -- but what is the difference?  i'm running Fedora Core 3 on a single
> processor Linux box, running Apache 2.x
>
> what does prefork mean? vs. worker?

Basically,

PreFork is the old MPM from Apache 1.3 series and forks one process for each
new request. Worker is a multithreaded module. It will launch multiple threads
to service new requests. Apache 2.0 has other multithreaded MPMs, like
ThreadPool, PerChild, Leader (what happened to these in Apache 2.2?).

Worker is more efficient on the resources and faster. PreFork is "old school".

One word of warning. If you are running PHP on that Aapche, you will be forced
to use PreFork, since PHP doesn't guarantee thread safety. Don't misunderstand
me, PHP5 core IS thread-safe, most of the PHP extensions ARE thread-safe, but
most of the 3rd party libraries, used by those extensions ARE NOT. Therefore,
RPM install or YAST will set MPM to prefork if you load mod_php.

Nix.

Re: downloaded JK binaries for Linux - which to use? workers or prefork?

Posted by Kim Albee <mt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.