Posted to user@poi.apache.org by mingqiang yu <mi...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/02 17:37:56 UTC

Microsoft office document to pdf conversion question

Hi,

After some research and testing of the possible ways of converting
Microsoft office document to pdf, I'm wondering that if anyone has
done this conversion using Apache's POI. How reliable is it?

I really appreciate your help!

Ming

Re: Microsoft office document to pdf conversion question

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
POI does not offer a simple, direct way of converting an Office document -
Excel Workbook, Word Document - into a pdf. The best you could do would be
to combine POI with something like iText and use the former to strip the
information from the Office document and the latter to create then populate
the new pdf document.

The only way I know of to convert directly from Office to pdf is to use
either the relevant Office component (Word, Excel, etc) or OpenOffice. There
is an api called JODConvertor -
http://www.artofsolving.com/opensource/jodconverter - that you may wish to
take a look at. It removes the 'problem' of working directly with OpenOffice
- no UNO code to write!

Yours

Mark B

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
For Word documents AbiWord (http://www.abisource.com/) may be a viable
alternative. It is a word processor but one that can be used from the
command line to perform file conversions. The only caveat is that at it's
heart, the .doc file filter was origionally conceived and written by the
same developer who now contributes to OpenOffices Word filter. Admittedly,
Abi's filter is maintained by different developers now but it is likely they
share common traits.

Just as a side note, if you are looking for an exact copy of the Word
document rendered into pdf then you could well be bound for faiure at one
level or another. Often the same document will be rendered with slight
differences by different versions of Word IME.

Yours

Mark B

Posted by mingqiang yu <mi...@gmail.com>.