Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Keith Richling <ke...@agilent.com> on 2004/08/20 16:25:30 UTC

checkin fails on a moved directory

When I try to checkin a moved directory I get an error stating that I am
out of date.  If I perform an updated then checkin, the checkin
succeeds.  I am the only person using the repository, so why am I out of
date?

I am running subversion on Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 3
(Taroon).  Here is the version information for subversion.

 >svn --version
svn, version 1.0.6 (r10360)
    compiled Aug 17 2004, 09:51:59

Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
   - handles 'http' schema
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
   - handles 'file' schema
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
   - handles 'svn' schema

Here are the commands to run to reproduce the error.

mkdir /tmp/svn
cd /tmp/svn
svnadmin create add_test_repo
svn co file:///tmp/svn/add_test_repo add_test
cd add_test
mkdir -p test/exec/dir
svn add test
svn ci -m "Added a test."
svn rm test/exec/dir
svn ci -m "Removed dir."
svn mv test/exec test/act
svn ci -m "Renamed exec to act."

Here is the error message.

svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Out of date: '/test/exec' in transaction '3'

--
Keith Richling                     |  Agilent Technologies
Email: keith_richling@agilent.com  |  MS/72

Re: checkin fails on a moved directory

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 10:25:30AM -0600, Keith Richling wrote:
> When I try to checkin a moved directory I get an error stating that I am
> out of date.  If I perform an updated then checkin, the checkin
> succeeds.  I am the only person using the repository, so why am I out of
> date?

This is a FAQ:
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#wc-out-of-date

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: checkin fails on a moved directory

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Keith Richling wrote:

> When I try to checkin a moved directory I get an error stating that I am
> out of date.  If I perform an updated then checkin, the checkin
> succeeds.  I am the only person using the repository, so why am I out of
> date?

Because checkin does not automatically update your working copy.  See
this section of the book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch02s03.html#svn-ch-2-sect-3.4

for more details (actually that whole chapter).

HTH

John

p.s. please don't crosspost to the dev list unless someone asks you to;
this was really a user question, not anything to do with the development
of the software itself...

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: checkin fails on a moved directory

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Keith Richling wrote:
> When I try to checkin a moved directory I get an error stating that I am
> out of date.  If I perform an updated then checkin, the checkin
> succeeds.  I am the only person using the repository, so why am I out of
> date?
>
> Here are the commands to run to reproduce the error.
>
> mkdir /tmp/svn
> cd /tmp/svn
> svnadmin create add_test_repo
> svn co file:///tmp/svn/add_test_repo add_test
> cd add_test
> mkdir -p test/exec/dir
> svn add test
> svn ci -m "Added a test."
> svn rm test/exec/dir
> svn ci -m "Removed dir."
> svn mv test/exec test/act
> svn ci -m "Renamed exec to act."
>

> Here is the error message.
>
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Out of date: '/test/exec' in transaction '3'

Please, don't crosspost usage questions to dev@ - that's what users@ is for.

The above behaviour is quite normal and expected, and is explained in the
Subversion book, www.svnbook.org, chapter 2 "Basic Concepts", section 3
"Subversion in Action".

Max.

Re: checkin fails on a moved directory