Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bruce Feist <bf...@flock.org> on 2003/11/05 02:37:25 UTC

[users@httpd] Connection Refused - without missing info.

This is a repost of the message I just sent, in which I left out
the error message that I'm complaining about, and some minor
extra information about my configuration added (virtual hosts).

Browsers accessing my Apache 1.3 web site (http://www.flock.org
with a second virtual host of http://www.veritasguild.org) often
but inconsistently get a message saying "The connection was
refused when attempting to contact www.flock.org".  By "sporadic"
I mean that for a given page, sometimes the request will work and
sometimes it will fail.  My operating system is Linux in the
RedHat 7.1 distribution, with the 2.4.18-24.7 kernel.

The computer is a lightly loaded server, handling email, named,
Samba, and netatalk as well as Apache. The web site is hit
regularly but not really hard, and top reports that it's
typically more than 95% idle, with almost all of the memory but
little of the swap space in use.  The network connection is the
main bottleneck; it's an IDSL setup.

Apache has MaxClients set to 250 -- I increased it today, since
it seemed the most likely parameter to affect the situation.
I've looked at the Apache FAQ, searched the Apache docs, and
looked through the archive of this mailing list without finding
an answer.

I've searched Apache's logs and found nothing about refused
connections.

Other possibly-related software that's installed and used pretty
heavily includes PHP and MySql.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Bruce Feist

Re: [users@httpd] Connection Refused - without missing info.

Posted by Bruce Feist <bf...@flock.org>.
Robert Andersson wrote:

> Bruce Feist wrote:
>
>>Browsers
<snip>
>> get a message saying "The connection was
>>refused when attempting to contact www.flock.org".
>
> What browsers? A certain type, or any browser? Do they all give identical
> error messages?

Good point.  That message was from Mozilla 1.4.1.  I just tried
Internet Explorer, which instead said "Cannot find server or DNS
Error".

> You should try to find out exactly what is causing the error. If the
> connection is refused, sounds more like an OS issue to me.

I think you're right.  Thanks for the response; I was probably on
the wrong track, sort of.  I've done some analysis, and I now see
that most access to my web sites is being done by robots -- and
they're hitting many rather large scanned files I have posted on
my site.  I'll try telling them not to with a robots.txt file,
and see if that helps.

Thanks again!

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Bruce Feist wrote:
> Browsers accessing my Apache 1.3 web site (http://www.flock.org
> with a second virtual host of http://www.veritasguild.org) often
> but inconsistently get a message saying "The connection was
> refused when attempting to contact www.flock.org".

What browsers? A certain type, or any browser? Do they all give identical
error messages?

> What should I be looking for?

You should try to find out exactly what is causing the error. If the
connection is refused, sounds more like an OS issue to me. You may want to
try monitoring network traffic, and analyze the communication between the
client and your box when this happens.

Regards,
Robert Andersson