Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jörg Reiher <re...@esteam.de> on 2008/09/16 13:37:26 UTC

[VOTE] apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating release

Hello,

the community has approved a release of apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating.

Pursuant to the Releases section of the Incubation Policy we would now like to request the approval of the Incubator PMC to make the release.

Release proposal:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-empire-db-dev/200809.mbox/%3C0864536CC6E70F4F9FF85DE7334908CC07C119@esteams1.esteam.local%3E

Vote result:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-empire-db-dev/200809.mbox/%3C0864536CC6E70F4F9FF85DE7334908CC07C123@esteams1.esteam.local%3E

My vote is

+1 (non binding)

Joerg

Re: [VOTE] apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubating andapache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating release

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Rainer Döbele wrote:

> With the struts-extentions we're in a dilemma. It won't build without
> servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar. There is an info file that informs the
> user about the requirement for these two jars.

Can you point this file out to me ? I am too stupid to find it in
apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating.tar.gz

    Cheers,

           Thomas

Re: [VOTE]apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubatingandapache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubatingrelease

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24/09/2008, Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 13:54 +0100, sebb wrote:
>

> > It's a pity that the Tomcat jars don't contain proper manifests + N &
>  > L files; I'll see about raising that with the Tomcat developers.
>

> Huh, what?
>
>  On my freshly downloaded apache tomcat 5.5.27, the servlet API contains
>

>  Specification-Title: Java API for Servlets
>  Specification-Version: 2.4
>  Specification-Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>  Implementation-Title: javax.servlet
>  Implementation-Version: 2.4.public_draft
>  Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation
>

> and the jsp API contains
>
>  Specification-Title: Java API for JavaServer Pages
>  Specification-Version: 2.0
>
> Specification-Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>
> Implementation-Title: javax.servlet.jsp
>  Implementation-Version: 2.0.public_draft
>
> Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation
>

> which clearly states what these files are, who built them and what they
>  implement. I'd even say that Tomcat is a fine example of compliance here
>  (I assume that the TCK tests this).

Sorry, you're right (I must have been looking at the wrong zip) -
however they don't have N & L files.

The jars in 6.0.18 don't have N & L or the Manifest entries show above.

Looks like there is a problem with the 6.0 packaging.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.

> > > Assuming that they have not included the jars incorrectly.
> > >

> >  I will check that the jars in question are those released by tomcat.
> >

> > > Perhaps it would be better to double-check with legal?
> > >

> >  If the jars are ASL licensed, I do not see the need. Correct me if I'm
> > wrong.
> >

> What I meant was - just because the jars are part of another Apache
> product does not necessarily mean that they are ASL licensed. One
> would hope that they are, but given some of the other postings in this
> thread I though it would be prudent to double-check this.

While I appreciate your concern and you are right, that you can not
simply take a jar from another Apache project and assume it is AL
licensed (you do can assume that you can bundle it with your project
and, as long as you have appropriate NOTICE and LICENSE.txt entries, you
can ship the result under AL. That is what our license is all about
BTW... :-) ), in this case, the servlet-api jar is built from

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/servletapi/tags/servlet2.4-jsp2.0-tc5.x/TOMCAT_5_5_27/jsr154

and the JSP API jar is built from

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/servletapi/tags/servlet2.4-jsp2.0-tc5.x/TOMCAT_5_5_27/jsr152

Please, can we lay this to rest? Thanks. :-)

	Ciao
		Henning

Re: preparing empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating release candidate 2

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
Right. you need

in NOTICE

and the AL 2.0 in LICENSE.txt, which you both already have.

	Ciao
		Henning

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Thomas,

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
And especially, please remember that a vote on the empire-db-dev list or
even on empire-db-private is not enough to do any podling release.

A podling release *must* be approved by the incubator PMC (see
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html). Before that,
it is not a release.

	Ciao
		Henning

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Thomas,

thanks for your reply. Hope you did not misunderstand me. I really appreciated that you investigated about the licensing, and I am well aware of its importance. I just cannot take care of everything myself and there are probably people out there who are better with legal stuff than I am.

About the 72 hour period: I don't think generally extending the period is a good idea, it will just slow down the process. Instead I suggest, that if anyone wants to have a closer look but needs more time, just to post a short message saying until when he / she will be able to look at it. The caller of the vote (Jörg so far) will then wait until this person has answered.
Would that be OK for you Thomas?

For the upcoming release: I think we should just update the 1.0.4. struts2-extentions release now, by including the two questionable jars instead of the "libinfo.txt" file in the lib directory (Thomas was that the file you were looking for?).
We have already made a few code changes unter the 2.0.5 / 1.0.5. label, but I would rather not close this version yet.

BTW: With my source-forge comment I just wanted to point out, that users (not me) would probably want an Apache distribution for download which we still cannot offer. I fear that that might put possible users off.

Regards,
Rainer

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi everyone,

looks like we're running in circles with that struts2 extentions release.
Partially it is probably my own fault since I did not question Thomas' findings but I must say I am not really fond of all these legal issues.

Personally I would really like to bundle the servlet-api and jsp-api in order to have a nice clean and easy build process. I am also willing to change the release build scripts once again.

However I would like everyone to acknolege that the process of making a release build, uploading it, calling for vote on the dev-list, wainting or 72 hours, posting the result, calling for voting on the general list, ... is quite a tedious task and costs Jörg and me a lot of time.

[...]

Cheers
Rainer

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.
> In fact the jars we had in our struts2-ext 1.0.3 release candidate
> were taken from Tomcat 5.5. The manifest says:
>
>    Manifest-Version: 1.0
>    Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
>    Created-By: 1.4.2_11-b06 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
>
>    Name: javax/servlet/
>    Specification-Title: Java API for Servlets
>    Specification-Version: 2.4
>    Specification-Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>    Implementation-Title: javax.servlet
>    Implementation-Version: 2.4.public_draft
>    Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation
>
> Thomas investigated this and said it was not permitted to distribute
> those. This was the main reason why he rejected the release.
> Martijn agreed with that too.
>
> @Thomas: since Tomcat is distributing them, why can't we?

I was not aware that Tomcat is distributing the libraries under ASL. I was
under the impression that only Sun is distributing those and as such I
looked at Sun for the license, and found CDDL there. Sorry for that.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
Uh, what? AFAIK they are under AL 2.0. It would be absurd if we could
not distribute jars taken from other Apache releases. Can you point me
at the vote thread with the rejection?

	Ciao
		Henning

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Henning,

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Henning,

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Thank you Henning very much for your helpful comments on the servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar problem. Obviously there is a lot to learn for us about build scripts.

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Henning,

[...]

BTW: Here's my +1 for both distributions (although non-binding).

Rainer

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.