Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by Gabriela Gibson <ga...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/15 22:57:56 UTC

Building Corinthia on Ubuntu (trusty)

Hi Everyone,

I was trying to build Corinthia on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (trusty) and
encountered the following 3 issues whilst following the instructions in
README.md:

Issue 1
=======

When trying to build the latest libiconv from gnuorg:

In file included from progname.c:26:0:
./stdio.h:1010:1: error: ‘gets’ undeclared here (not in a function)
 _GL_WARN_ON_USE (gets, "gets is a security hole - use fgets instead");
 ^
make[2]: *** [progname.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/g/Downloads/libiconv-1.14/srclib'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/g/Downloads/libiconv-1.14/srclib'
make: *** [all] Error 2
~/Downloads/libiconv-1.14>

Fix:
-----

sudo apt-get install libiconv-hook1 libiconv-hook-dev

(true this is a libiconv (or perhaps Ubuntu) issue, but, I'm not sure and
maybe someone will find this info useful.)

Issue 2
=======

make has the following showstopper:

/home/g/corinthia/build/incubator-corinthia/DocFormats/platform/src/Linux.c:25:28:
fatal error: SDL2/SDL_image.h: No such file or directory
 #include <SDL2/SDL_image.h>
                            ^
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [DocFormats/platform/CMakeFiles/platform.dir/src/Linux.c.o]
Error 1
make[1]: *** [DocFormats/platform/CMakeFiles/platform.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Fix:
-----

Download and install this: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/

(this is a separate package to SDL2, confusingly so :)

Issue 3:
=======

After compiling, I could not get the tests to work with this instruction:

$ bin/dfutil -test $DOCFORMATS_DIR/tests

Output:
-----------

Usage:

dfutil -pp filename
    Print a plain text version of a .docx or .odt file to standard output
(... snip...)

Looking at function:

[[
static int runCommand(int argc, const char **argv, DFError **dferr)
]]

in incubator-corinthia/consumers/dfutil/src/main.c I can see that the
tests are currently only #defined for __APPLE__ and that there is no
switch '-test' defined otherwise.

regards,

Gabriela

--
Visit my Coding Diary: http://gabriela-gibson.blogspot.com/

Re: Building Corinthia on Ubuntu (trusty)

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi again

here are 3 issues, if you want something simple to start on :

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COR-43
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COR-33
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COR-32

And do remember both Peter and I are around to help where needed with the
code.

rgds
jan i.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Gabriela.

Posted by Peter Kelly <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gabriela, and welcome!

I just tried a build on a clean ubuntu install, and found that these were the packages I needed to install:

cmake
libxml2
libxml2-dev
zlib1g
zlib1g-dev
libsdl2-image-2.0-0
libsdl2-image-dev

I think iconv is a dependency of libxml2.

The build/usage instructions are somewhat out of date, and I’ll try to update these shortly. However, as Jan mentioned, dfconvert is the program for triggering file format conversions (it replaces dfutil). The latter is sort of a mixed bag of different things that will probably go away at somepoint - dfconvert is the primary command-line tool currently in the project.

There’s also dftest, which is used to run all the automated tests for the DocFormats library. Just run dftest . in the root of the source tree and this will execute all of the tests.

The editing library isn’t really in a readily-usable format right yet, but very soon I’m going to be working on getting that into a form where it can be run as a web application, and tied in with DocFormats so that we actually have a usable editing application. I’m going to be putting an extremely bare-bones user interface on it for prototyping purposes, but this is what I think will be one of the most interesting things on the horizon, in addition to other conversion filters.

Do let me know if you have any questions or particular aspects of the project you’re interested in.

--
Dr. Peter M. Kelly
kellypmk@gmail.com