Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Jonathan Valliere <jo...@apache.org> on 2018/07/06 14:29:15 UTC

MINA branch names

Any objections to setting up a 2.X branch which serves as the master then
create the explicit numerical branches when releases are done?  The 2.0
used to be the master but now there is 2.1.  Just looking to make it easier
to understand.

Re: MINA branch names

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 06/07/2018 à 23:15, Jonathan Valliere a écrit :
> There are no 2.1 releases are there?

No, there are none. There is a branch I created, but no release so far.

  Maybe 3.0 should be reserved for some
> incompatible refactor.

3.0 does exist, and we have releases for it, but it's currently sleeping.

> I know we had a discussion about this before; shouldn’t the major versions
> numbers have a goal of maintaining compatibility with the entire major
> number?  So moving to 3 from 2 allows us to break backwards compatibility?

We use X.Y.Z :

- X, you can break whatever you want
- Y, you should not break the API, but you can extend it
- Z, you should never break the API, nor extend it.

But we have to be pragmatic, too...

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: MINA branch names

Posted by Jonathan Valliere <jo...@apache.org>.
There are no 2.1 releases are there?  Maybe 3.0 should be reserved for some
incompatible refactor.

I know we had a discussion about this before; shouldn’t the major versions
numbers have a goal of maintaining compatibility with the entire major
number?  So moving to 3 from 2 allows us to break backwards compatibility?

Other than that, sounds like a plan.

Re: MINA branch names

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.