Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gm...@apache.org> on 2006/09/28 09:52:20 UTC

Detecting page breaks (Was Re: Creating FO DOM directly)

Shubhrata Tewari wrote:

> Hi,

Greetings.  Be careful not to hijack threads (i.e., remember to change
the subject title in your email to help with searching the mailing list
archives.)

> Is it possible using xslt and xsl:fo to detect a page break?

No, not XSLT (xsl: namespace) because that happens before FOP starts
working.  FOP determines page breaks after the XSLT transformations are
complete.

As for XSL-FO (fo: namespace)...

> basically I
> am using a for-each, and I want to show some data in the first row
> of a page whenever a new page begins.
> Any ideas?

Again, your xsl:for-each has dissolved and disappeared before FOP ever
activates.

If the data is constant ("Hi!  Welcome to India!") then just place it in
the fo:static-content with region xsl-region-start.

If the data is dynamic and based on the contents of the page (for
example, the first and last words on the page of a glossary or
dictionary) then the fo:marker and fo:retrieve-marker is what you will
need.  Google on those two fo's for countless examples.

If you would like running subtotals of financial data, Joerg gave a
solution[1] a while back.

Glen

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-user&m=109035492329917&w=2