Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru> on 2009/04/02 16:50:11 UTC

Re[4]: Performance of SVN on Windows and Linux

Greetings, Bob Archer!

BA> He did say "on checkout" which is certainly file "creation" which will
BA> trigger the virus scan. Personally I just exclude my c:\Development from
BA> McAfee and it keeps it's grubby hands off my WC's.

Right, but how many times you checking out a whole project tree? Even then,
you'll barely notice the delay, unless you storing complex containers in your
projects (Windows HTML Help files is what comes in mind - they are very hard
to dissect, resulting in bunch of small pages, taking high amount of memory to
maintain at the checking time)

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Performance of SVN on Windows and Linux

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Bolstridge, Andrew!

> On the other side, I've just created a new repository on my windows
> server. Importing the files, I was getting 40kps sending the files to
> the server, until it broke with an error after 200mb had been
> transferred. A quick google showed that error possibly being caused by
> virus scanning, so I switched the AV off and re-imported the files, this
> time at a rate of roughly 400kps.

> Virus scanning can be a real performance hog.

FS-monitoring virus scanner on a server is a bad juju.
But if that was the AV on your CLIENT machine... well, get a big hammer and
crack the heads of your AV sowftware developers.

RE: Re[4]: Performance of SVN on Windows and Linux

Posted by "Bolstridge, Andrew" <an...@intergraph.com>.