Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Jered Floyd <je...@convivian.com> on 2016/12/05 20:05:16 UTC

ATS and Let's Encrypt automation

Is anyone currently using ATS with Let's Encrypt as a certificate provider?

My current plan is to do something like:
1) Run Apache Server locally on a non-standard port (e.g. 8000)

2) Add a rule mapping all access to /.well-known/acme-challenge/ to the local server:
regex_map http://*/.well-known/acme-challenge/ http://proxy-host.domain.com:8000/

3) Use certbot's "webroot" authenticator plugin to satisfy http-01 challenge types

4) Use certbot renew --post-hook to refresh ATS after certificate renewal

This is relatively simple, but running another server locally feels inelegant. I don't believe ATS can be configured to serve local file system content, though. Any alternative suggestions I should explore?

--Jered

Re: ATS and Let's Encrypt automation

Posted by Jered Floyd <je...@convivian.com>.
Oh, I didn't realize this plugin existed!

For anyone following along, BTW, running Apache Server (binding 127.0.0.1:8000 only) and then this remap directive (at the very top of my remap.config) worked perfectly:

regex_map http://(.*)/.well-known/acme-challenge/ http://127.0.0.1:8000/

--Jered

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Carroll <so...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Posted by Josh North <jo...@point808.com>.
I use the standalone server that comes with certbot along with a cron script to shut down ATS, run certbot, then restart ATS. Also not elegant but I could not get a redirect to work for this.

Posted by Jered Floyd <je...@convivian.com>.
This ended up working fine for my ATS environment. One point of confusion though -- the documentation claims that "traffic_ctl config reload" is sufficient after a change to ssl_multicert.config, but "traffic_ctl config status" afterwards reports "traffic_server requires restarting".

Is a "traffic_ctl server restart" required after modification of ssl_multicert.config?

--Jered