Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Enrico Weigelt <we...@metux.de> on 2004/12/14 20:41:29 UTC

Re: WebDAV and reading / writing files as system users

* Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

Hi,

> I am busy researching the idea of an Apache + DAV server that would do
> the job of what a typical Samba server does now - file sharing. An
> Apache server would have the advantage of native SSL support, flexible
> authentication configuration, etc.

If you just want I fileserver, you'll probably like to have a look
at Coda or Intermezzo. They both support strong authentication,
clustering and replication.

And if commercial stuff is an option, Novell Netware also does a good job.

<snip>
> The perchild mpm seems to be the closest thing to what I am looking for,
> but the manual warns that it is not functional. Is this still the case?
Perchild doesn't really work - its conceptionally insecure.
(users can ptrace their processes and so can - with a given chance -
catch also other people's requests)

You're probably interested in

    http://www.metux.de/mpm/

We currently only work based on vhost-name, not yet on auth-credentials,
but this is planned.

There're some issues to think about, ie. we must ensure that mod_auth
gets in before we fetch the request in the multiplexer *or* we have
to do authentication by ourselves.

We've got similar problems with SSL by the way ...

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481