Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/01 10:26:26 UTC

Proposed release process

We've previously discussed and I think agreed that the documented
release process is seriously out of date with the current
capabilities of maven.

I'm proposing we update the documented release process to rely
primarily on the maven-release-plugin.

I've written this up here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxPMGT/Proposed+%
28updated%29+release+process

The current official documentation is here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxPMGT/Release+Branching
+Process

As noted in another email I think I've solved the "wrong tags
location" problem by modifying genesis and including a release profile.

Please take a look and propose updates.   I'll call a vote on this
shortly.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Proposed release process

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 3, 2008, at 8:33 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> We've previously discussed and I think agreed that the documented
>> release process is seriously out of date with the current
>> capabilities of maven.
>> I'm proposing we update the documented release process to rely
>> primarily on the maven-release-plugin.
>> I've written this up here:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxPMGT/Proposed+%
>> 28updated%29+release+process
>> The current official documentation is here:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxPMGT/Release
>> +Branching+Process
>> As noted in another email I think I've solved the "wrong tags
>> location" problem by modifying genesis and including a release
>> profile.
>> Please take a look and propose updates.   I'll call a vote on this
>> shortly.
>
> David,
>
> Thanks for pulling this together.
>
> My comments are somewhat limited since I haven't yet served as a
> release manager and hence don't fully appreciate how difficult
> things have been.
Neither have I... so I have a couple tablespoons of salt handy too.

I'm mostly interested in setting up an "ideal" process and adding
comments as to what actually works now and what we need to do to get
to the ideal process.

>   With that grain of salt ... here are my comments:
>
> 1) Is this really ready for prime-time given that the stage plugin
> has not yet been released and apparently does not honor the version
> specified? Also, does this mean that the staging repo must be empty
> except for the items that you want to release before you perform
> step 7.

I don't know.  I'd like to include the use of the stage plugin until
we find out that it doesn't work, at which time we may have to come
up with alternate instructions or fix it.  I don't know about the
staging repo.
> 2) Do the site directions apply (ie. to all or more plugins have
> site docs ... specs, etc..)?

In an ideal world, we might want to have maven generated docs
especially for plugins.  For now, I dunno.
> 3) There are two steps 10).
fixed.  If anyone can figure out how to get confluence to do the
numbering correctly that would be great.  For me each item started
over at 1.
> 4) The step to update the geronimo-plugins.xml should probably be
> expanded to specify how this is to be done.  Do you recommend using
> the output from the car-maven-plugin followed by some minor edits
> (to remove references to the local maven repo)?

We need to figure out how :-)
My guess would be that you should copy the remote, official, geronimo-
plugins.xml to your local maven repo, run the release build, and copy
it back.  I haven't tried this.

> 5) Should we consider updating the steps to handle releasing an
> item for multiple Geronimo versions (and/or multiple server
> configurations such as jetty vs. tomcat)?

Suggestions more than welcome.... so far I think you'd run through
these steps independently for each set of stuff you can build at once.

thanks for the comments!
david jencks

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 2, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2008, at 4:26 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> We've previously discussed and I think agreed that the documented
>> release process is seriously out of date with the current
>> capabilities of maven.
>>
>> I'm proposing we update the documented release process to rely
>> primarily on the maven-release-plugin.
>>
>> I've written this up here:
>>
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxPMGT/Proposed+%
>> 28updated%29+release+process
>>
>> The current official documentation is here:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxPMGT/Release
>> +Branching+Process
>>
>> As noted in another email I think I've solved the "wrong tags
>> location" problem by modifying genesis and including a release
>> profile.
>>
>> Please take a look and propose updates.   I'll call a vote on this
>> shortly.
>
> What are the steps to be taken if a Release vote fails (e.g. a
> problem is found and needs to be fixed)?

The release plugin has a release:rollback goal that looks like it's
supposed to undo the svn activity from a release:perform.  If this
goal doesn't work then undoing the tag is just reversing a couple svn
commits.

BTW the maven-release-plugin is also supposed to be able to create
branches.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.