Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2007/12/12 11:53:35 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Gang,
As the Mentor, I hereby call for a vote to graduate the FtpServer project.

The MINA PMC has accepted FtpServer to become a subproject in the MINA
project.

The rationale is;
 - FtpServer has been revamped with the high-performant MINA architecture.
 - MINA are expanding the scope to include protocol layers.

FtpServer suffers a little bit from being too complete and too narrow scope
 to sustain a healthy community, and I was very happy to see that the MINA
 project has taken it under their wings and want to maintain the codebase,
 with the help of the current active committers, Trustin Lee, Alex Karasulu
 and Niklas Gustavsson. The other listed committers has either declined
 (Sergey Vladimirov), non-responding email (paul@hammant.org) or not
 responded (Rana Battacharyya), when asked if they are still interested to
 remain committers in the project.

Please cast your votes.
[ ]  +1  Graduate FtpServer to MINA Project.
[ ]   0  I don't care.
[ ]  -1  FtpServer is not ready to graduate, because...

Thank you very much
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Dec 12, 2007 2:53 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> Gang,
> As the Mentor, I hereby call for a vote to graduate the FtpServer project.

[X]  +1  Graduate FtpServer to MINA Project.

Matthieu

[RESULT][VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 12 December 2007 18:53, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Gang,
> As the Mentor, I hereby call for a vote to graduate the FtpServer project.
>
> The MINA PMC has accepted FtpServer to become a subproject in the MINA
> project.

This vote has now run more than 72 hours, no negative votes, no abstains and 4
positive votes.

I hereby declare FtpServer finally graduated from Incubator.

I will proceed with updating the status file, and work with the MINA PMC and
the FtpServer community to execute the move.

Cheers

Re: [VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Re: [VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Paul

On Dec 13, 2007 4:42 PM, Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com> wrote:

> Niall Pemberton wrote:

> >> You have mention this for the Yoko project as well, and I start to
> wonder who
> >> of us two has misunderstood what the so called "status file" is.
> >>
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html says that the "status
> file" is
> >> the http://incubator.apache.org/projects/{podlingname}.html<http://incubator.apache.org/projects/%7Bpodlingname%7D.html>and is what I
> >> have always thought of it being.
> >>
> >> You make a claim that a second one is required in
> >> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/{podlingname}/STATUS<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/%7Bpodlingname%7D/STATUS>or equivalent,
> >> like has been done for Tuscany.
> >> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/STATUS
> >
> > I make no claim about whether a STATUS file is required or not (I
> > don't know) - its just that for both this vote and Yoko I went looking
> > for information on whether the exit criteria had been met or not and I
> > found a STATUS file for Yoko. For both Yoko (in the STATUS file) and
> > FtpServer (on the website) the information was incomplete - so I asked
> > the question in the threads. I'd be happy with a statement in the vote
> > thread - but without this information I can't see how we can vote on
> > graduating a podiling.
>
> I found the "status file" requirement confusing as well. You might
> find this helpful: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-5
>
> Martin
>

> > Niall
> >
> >> Can someone authorative clarify the situation for me?
> >>

> >> Cheers
> >> --
> >>
> >> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
> >>
> >> I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
> >> I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
> >> I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Podling status files, was: Graduate FtpServer

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Dec 13, 2007, at 5:46 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 December 2007 19:45, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>
>> I couldn't see a STATUS file in svn
>
> You have mention this for the Yoko project as well, and I start to
> wonder who
> of us two has misunderstood what the so called "status file" is.
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html says that the "status
> file" is
> the http://incubator.apache.org/projects/{podlingname}.html and is
> what I
> have always thought of it being.
>
> You make a claim that a second one is required in
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/{podlingname}/STATUS or
> equivalent,
> like has been done for Tuscany.
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/STATUS
>
> Can someone authorative clarify the situation for me?

Not authoritative, but when I set this up for Tuscany the thought was:
* the one on the incubator site reflected incubation status and would
stay with the incubator
* the one in svn reflected project status and would move with the
project on graduation

During incubation there would be a lot of overlap, but there would
also be other information for the respective audiences (for example,
some projects include the one from svn in distros).

--
Jeremy

RE: [VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html says that the "status file"
is
> the http://incubator.apache.org/projects/{podlingname}.html

Yes, as far as the Incubator is concerned.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 13, 2007 4:40 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 December 2007 19:45, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>
> > Have they met the exit criteria?
> >
> > I couldn't see a STATUS file in svn - but the website[1] doesn't have
> > a date against "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer
> > rights to the ASF been received. It is only necessary to transfer
> > rights for the package, the core code, and any new code produced by
> > the project." in the Copyright section.
> >
> > [1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ftpserver.html
>
> I'll update the ftpserver.xml to reflect what has happened (AFAIK), but
> roughly;
>
> FtpServer is probably now the oldest incubating project, and come here at the
> very beginning (IIRC) of Incubator existence. The project originated in
> Avalon, but didn't really belong there, hence moved here.
> So, there has never been any software grants and such to deal with.
>
> The project was dormant (incl no active Mentor, no PPMC) for a long time,
> until Niklas Gustavsson and Sergey Vladimirov started to revive the codebase
> and community. The codebase was moved to use the high-performant MINA network
> layer, and that created the "natural home" aspect.
>
> I came in as a Mentor about 6 months ago, and try to fill in the missing gaps;
> establish a PPMC, grow the community to 3 committers and official secure a
> new home.
>
> So, IMHO FtpServer has met graduation criteria. More importantly, we have a
> PMC willing to take over the responsibility of a encumberance-free codebase.

Thanks for the info,

Re: [VOTE] Graduate FtpServer

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate FtpServer