Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Zhao Sharon-CSC002 <Sh...@motorola.com> on 2004/04/14 18:52:01 UTC

RE: How To Use TCPMonitor?

Rick,
  Thank you very much for the help. We are using the HTTPS for connecting to the server port. Does TCPMon:port 2080 still work? If not, which port number should I use?

Sharon Zhao

Posted by Rick Umali <rg...@TheWorld.com>.
On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 Sharon Zhao asked:
>Thank you very much for the help. We are using the HTTPS for connecting
>to the server port. Does TCPMon:port 2080 still work? If not, which
>port number should I use?

I think the key is that you have to modify your client software to point
to a different port besides 443. This new port is the one tcpmon will
listen on. Requests on this port will get forwarded to server:443 by
tcpmon.

In your original configuration, you have this:

 	client -> server:port (443)

In your new configuration, you can have this:

 	client -> tcpmon:port (2080) -> server:port (443)

NOTE that port 2080 is completely arbitrary. You get to decide what port
number it should be. But you have to point your client to that port.

I do want to make a disclaimer: I have never tried to use tcpmon to
connect to SSL. I did a quick Google, and found this:

http://www.rtfm.com/ssldump/

This may be a more appropriate tool. I hope others on this list can
comment about tcpmon and SSL data sniffing. I don't see why tcpmon
couldn't be used, but as I mentioned, I've never tried to get this to
work.

Good luck!
--
Rick Umali    rgu@TheWorld.com    www.rickumali.com