Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by "david.w.smiley@gmail.com" <da...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/01 06:01:19 UTC

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

I consider https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7056 (a little
spatail3d reshuffling) blocker before 6.0 as it's the ideal time to move
things around / rename.  But I don't mind doing an extra cherry pick in the
end if you want to go create the branch without waiting.  So I don't know
if you want to call that a blocker or not.

Also, FYI there's a feature LUCENE-5735
(NumberRangePrefixTreeStrategy.calcFacets) that I committed to master (but
not 5x) over a year ago but didn't quite close the issue.  I had found a
bug or two but then lost the time to finish it.   I'd rather remove this
feature from the 6x branch after you create the branch.  When I get more
time (very likely this year) I can resolve the lingering bugs and get it
into whatever 6.x release comes along then.  So nothing for you to do here
but wanted to let you know.

Hey thanks for pitching in to do the release.

~ David

Posted by Nicholas Knize <nk...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Uwe!

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Will do that!

Uwe

-----

http://www.thetaphi.de <http://www.thetaphi.de/>

LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley | Book: http://www.solrenterprisesearchserver.com

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Gus, we are now in feature freeze for 6.0 but we should have a 6.1
soon-ish. Lucene/Solr averages a minor release every 6 weeks or so.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.

http://www.the111shift.com

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hmm if I add a 6.1 section now, before the branch_6_0 is created, Nick
will have to manually remove the 6.1 section.

Nick, I have some stuff to commit for 6.1 but I can hold on for a bit
if you are going to create the branch_6_0 soon.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Knize <nk...@gmail.com>.
Since this is the first major release since cutting over to git the intent
was to first create the 6x branch and create 6_0 once Jenkins was stable
with the new branches (version changes, backcompat, etc). This meant
a slight gap between creating the 6x and 6_0 branch, and a temporary
feature freeze until everything checks out.

That being said, if everyone is comfortable with the current state of
Jenkins (I know Mike did a lot of work to ensure backcompat tests pass) I
have no problem with the creation of the 6_0 branch. We just needed to give
enough time for things to settle and people to respond.

- Nick

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
> The rest of the problem was because I am new to Git --
> in subversion a release branch is always copied from the server so
> pulling latest changes locally before creating the branch did not
> cross my mind.

FYI, just as a side note for those interested in version control systems.

Contrary to what you say branching in SVN is very much like it is git.
It just depends how you create a branch (or a "path" in SVN). What you
did in git would be this in SVN world:

svn checkout http://repo/trunk
# [delay]
svn cp . http://repo/branches/foo

The trunk could have been changed in between on the server, this
wouldn't be reflected on the branch. What you're used to is
remote-copying, probably:

svn cp  http://repo/trunk http://repo/branches/foo

but this is, to be honest, a very questionable command since you have
absolutely no control over which version you're copying (which version
of trunk you're branching). And if you do specify a version (there is
such a possibility) this in no way differs from pulling changes from
remote in git, marking your "branching" commit and then creating a
branch from there.

Dawid

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
<sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll fix the TestBackwardsCompatibility.

Thanks.

> The mistake was to freeze the
> 6x branch in the first place. The release branch is the one which
> should be frozen. I specifically asked the RM to cut the branch to let
> others progress but I received no replies -- which is why I was forced
> to do it myself.

Again, even if you feel it was a mistake, even if the RM is taking a
bit to reply, please don't go and cut branches yourself.

If you feel strongly, start up a new thread, try to contact RM over
IRC, etc.  Please don't cut your own branches.

A major release is hard enough with one chef in the kitchen.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Officially, nothing is required from a release manager and an RM has no
power beyond any other individual. It's only individual opinions that have
said otherwise. If an RM seems to be absent, best to address them directly,
everyone misses things. Apache works at a pace of days, not hours.

Let's all just be extra understanding and constructive and avoid the
alternative of competing release candidates or releases.

Mark
--
- Mark
about.me/markrmiller

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
Sure, I will. Thanks !

--
Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Nicholas Knize <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
The releases are demanding, specially major versions, so thanks for all the
effort Nick.

I would like to commit SOLR-8423 and SOLR-8725 to 6.0. They aren't blockers
but are bugs and the patch for both are ready.

If you are fine with it, I'll commit to 6.0 else, I'd push it out with 6.1.
SOLR-8725 is certainly something that I'd push out with 5.5.1 (and if 5.6
happens, with 5.6).

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Nicholas Knize <nk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > hours (acceptable), not days (unacceptable).
>
> ++ I definitely agree with this. And it looks like the time period here
> was less than a day?
>
> >  there were multiple questions about it from more than one person over
> a couple days
>
> ?? I do not see these questions? They're certainly not in this thread
> which is where all of the branching was being discussed. If there are
> separate conversation threads then I think as the RM I should know about
> them?
>
> > If you’re going to be AFK for extended periods, please let people know.
>
> ++ This is definitely important. I'm not sure I agree that < 24 hours
> constitutes an extended period in this case. Especially given that its the
> first major release on the git infrastructure?
>
> Regardless, thank you to everyone that helped settle these branches.
>
> - Nick
>

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> First, Nick, thanks for your RM work.

>> release branch is the one which should be frozen.
>> >
>> >  I certainly agree with this. However, over a week ago there was a
>> request to hold off on creating the 6_0 branch until Jenkins settled with a
>> 6x. I received no push back on this suggestion so this was the plan that
>> was executed (several days after that request was sent).
>>
>> I guess I took this as meaning a freeze on *branch_6x* of hours
>> (acceptable), not days (unacceptable).
>>
>> > I think Mike is suggesting, and I agree with this, there needs to be a
>> reasonable amount of time given for someone to respond.
>>

>> My impression was that you were intentionally ignoring questions about
>> creation of the 6.0 branch, since there were multiple questions about it
>> from more than one person over a couple days with no response from you, but
>> meanwhile, you responded on other threads.  (Sorry, I haven’t gone back and
>> found the exact messages that left me with this impression, so I guess I
>> could be wrong.)
>>
>> One of the RM’s most important responsibilities is timely communication.
>> If you’re going to be AFK for extended periods, please let people know.
>>
>> --
>> Steve
>> www.lucidworks.com

Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Nicholas Knize <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
First, Nick, thanks for your RM work.

> On Mar 3, 2016, at 12:53 PM, Nicholas Knize <nk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The mistake was to freeze the 6x branch in the first place. The release branch is the one which should be frozen.
>
>  I certainly agree with this. However, over a week ago there was a request to hold off on creating the 6_0 branch until Jenkins settled with a 6x. I received no push back on this suggestion so this was the plan that was executed (several days after that request was sent).

I guess I took this as meaning a freeze on *branch_6x* of hours (acceptable), not days (unacceptable).

Posted by Nicholas Knize <nk...@gmail.com>.
> The mistake was to freeze the 6x branch in the first place. The release
branch is the one which should be frozen.

 I certainly agree with this. However, over a week ago there was a request
to hold off on creating the 6_0 branch until Jenkins settled with a 6x. I
received no push back on this suggestion so this was the plan that was
executed (several days after that request was sent).

> I specifically asked the RM to cut the branch to let others progress I
received no replies -- which is why I was forced to do it myself.

Your email was sent to me yesterday and I was on travel so didn't see it
until today (right when the branch was created in fact). Because of time
zones and other jobs I usually like to give people > 24 hours to reply.
That being said, if the collective needs to move forward I'm certainly not
insulted if someone else cuts a branch. I don't think any RM should be.

> The rest of the problem was because I am new to Git

I am not new to git so I had no problem creating the 6_0 branch, it just
seems I didn't get online soon enough.

I think Mike is suggesting, and I agree with this, there needs to be a
reasonable amount of time given for someone to respond.

- Nick

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Mike,

I'll fix the TestBackwardsCompatibility. The mistake was to freeze the
6x branch in the first place. The release branch is the one which
should be frozen. I specifically asked the RM to cut the branch to let
others progress but I received no replies -- which is why I was forced
to do it myself. In future, the RM should keep this in mind and not
block others. The rest of the problem was because I am new to Git --
in subversion a release branch is always copied from the server so
pulling latest changes locally before creating the branch did not
cross my mind.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 9:46 PM, Michael McCandless
<lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Shalin,
>
> In the future please don't jump the gun like this?
>
> It has caused a lot of unnecessary chaos.  It should be the RM, and
> only the RM, that is doing things like creating release branches,
> bumping versions, etc., at release time.
>
> Also, your changes to bump the version on 6.x seem to be causing
> TestBackwardsCompatibility to be failing.  Can you please fix that?
> In the future, when you are RM, please run tests when bumping versions
> before pushing.
>
> A major release is hard enough with only one chef.
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
> <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmm I think I created the branch without pulling the latest code. I'll fix.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This is missing a bunch of yesterday's branch_6x changes. Some of
>>> david smiley's spatial work, at least one of my commits.

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Shalin,

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
> Feature freeze for a release should not block development.

+1.

On the other hand, I'm all for moving fast and getting things done but if
we think we shouldn't have cut the branch as things aren't stable, we
should not have had a feature freeze.

Anshum Gupta

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.
I wouldn't read so, to be honest. This isn't so convoluted:

https://git-scm.com/docs/git-diff

Quote:

This is to view the changes between two arbitrary <commit>.

This is synonymous to the previous form.

I use it all the time (never used the triple dot notation, to be
honest). It is what you expect it to be -- it's essentially a diff of
changes between two commits (as if you checked them out into two
folders and ran a recursive diff on both).

Dawid

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
I compared the state of branch_6x and branch_6_0 after Mike merged LUCENE-7062 by cherry-picking Shalin's 6.1-only commits into my local branch_6_0:

e4712bb028849f9a9b202651728c1f5c0a224374 (SOLR-8722)
97db2d0b932ceae17fc6ab442af0b32f54928e05 (Adding version 6.1.0)
d346af3994fd2784c8550ccfea1f1d22afa0cd32 (SOLR-7516)

(with minor solr/CHANGES.txt fixups) and then diffing both directions:

git diff branch_6_0..branch_6x
git diff branch_6x..branch_6_0

and there were zero differences.

I think we’re good.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Shalin, I will take a look.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think mike has not merged his checkindex work but I am surprised to
> see merge conflicts?

OK I was able to merge my 6.x push to 6.0 with no conflicts, a good sign!

> Mike can you make sure your readint/readvint
> mismatch and other important bugfixes are not missing here?

I did a full source tree diff between 6.0 and master and reviewed all
the changes, and found a pre-existing minor bug (fixed), but otherwise
it looks like all master issues were successfully backported.

Thanks for fixing things, Shalin.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
> Mike can you make sure your readint/readvint mismatch and other important bugfixes are not missing here?

Thanks Rob, I'll confirm this fix made it to 6.0.

And, yes, I haven't merged LUCENE-7062 to 6.0 yet: it hit merge
conflicts when I last tried, I thought (at the time) because Shalin's
branch was missing a bunch of commits, but I'll try again.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

<sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm I think I created the branch without pulling the latest code. I'll fix.
>
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is missing a bunch of yesterday's branch_6x changes. Some of
>> david smiley's spatial work, at least one of my commits.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 5:10 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
>> <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> FYI, I have created the branch_6_0 so that we can continue to commit
>>> stuff intended for 6.1 on master and branch_6x. I have also added the

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

> Regards,
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hmm I think I created the branch without pulling the latest code. I'll fix.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is missing a bunch of yesterday's branch_6x changes. Some of
> david smiley's spatial work, at least one of my commits.
>
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 5:10 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
> <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> FYI, I have created the branch_6_0 so that we can continue to commit
>> stuff intended for 6.1 on master and branch_6x. I have also added the
>> 6.1.0 version on branch_6x and master.

>>> +1
>>>
>>> When I saw Nick's email about branch_6x being feature frozen, my first
>>> thought was that we don't (and really can't) feature freeze the stable
>>> branch -- isn't new feature development (for the next minor release in
>>> the current major version) the entire purpose of branch_Nx?
>>>
>>> A feature freeze on a specific minor version does make sense.  I've seen
>>> a couple of people say that we have, but there are also a few messages
>>> from people saying that they want to include new functionality in 6.0.
>>> I expect that backporting almost anything from branch_6x to branch_6_0
>>> will be relatively easy, so it may be a good idea to just create the new
>>> branch.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Shawn

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
FYI, I have created the branch_6_0 so that we can continue to commit
stuff intended for 6.1 on master and branch_6x. I have also added the
6.1.0 version on branch_6x and master.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 9:51 PM, Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> wrote:
> On 3/2/2016 4:19 AM, Alan Woodward wrote:
>> Should we create a separate branch_6_0 branch for the feature-freeze?
>>  I have stuff to push into master and that should eventually make it
>> into 6.1, and it will be easy to forget to backport stuff if there's a
>> week before I can do that…
>
> +1
>
> When I saw Nick's email about branch_6x being feature frozen, my first
> thought was that we don't (and really can't) feature freeze the stable
> branch -- isn't new feature development (for the next minor release in
> the current major version) the entire purpose of branch_Nx?
>
> A feature freeze on a specific minor version does make sense.  I've seen
> a couple of people say that we have, but there are also a few messages
> from people saying that they want to include new functionality in 6.0.
> I expect that backporting almost anything from branch_6x to branch_6_0
> will be relatively easy, so it may be a good idea to just create the new
> branch.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Lucene/Solr 6.0.0 Release Branch

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk>.
Should we create a separate branch_6_0 branch for the feature-freeze?  I have stuff to push into master and that should eventually make it into 6.1, and it will be easy to forget to backport stuff if there's a week before I can do that…

Posted by Nicholas Knize <nk...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mike! I'll have a look at addVersion.py and see if it needs to be
updated.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Nicholas Knize <nk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.