Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2004/02/07 16:26:39 UTC

License in generated docs

Nobody every really answered the question of whether the license
boilerplate reference text should be in html docs generated from xml.
(Clearly it should be contained in a comment in the xml source.)

My suggestion is not to put the boilerplate in an html comment, but rather
to put:

"Copyright 2002-2004 Apache Software Foundation. Licensed under the
2.0</a>."

in the html itself.  This omits the disclaimer of liability, but it makes
things clear to the people who read the docs (as opposed to the insane
people who read generated html sourcecode).

Joshua.

Re: License in generated docs

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:
> > +1. But ... where do we get the right year range for every document? Any
> > idea?
>
> Two ideas:
>
> (a) we don't use a range for the generated documents but just the current year
> (b) we add attributes to root element, one for the initial submission date and
> one for the cvs $date$ tag, which can be parsed by xslt.

or (c) treat the generated docs as a complete work and use a date range
for the complete work like 1995-2004.

I don't know the answer, but I suggest going with one of the simple
solutions (a or c) until someone complains.  It has to be better than what
we have now.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> wrote:

> * Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:
>
> > Nobody every really answered the question of whether the license
> > boilerplate reference text should be in html docs generated from xml.
> > (Clearly it should be contained in a comment in the xml source.)
> >
> > My suggestion is not to put the boilerplate in an html comment, but rather
> > to put:
> >
> > "Copyright 2002-2004 Apache Software Foundation. Licensed under the
> > 2.0</a>."
> >
> > in the html itself.  This omits the disclaimer of liability, but it makes
> > things clear to the people who read the docs (as opposed to the insane
> > people who read generated html sourcecode).
>
> +1. But ... where do we get the right year range for every document? Any
> idea?

Two ideas:

(a) we don't use a range for the generated documents but just the current year
(b) we add attributes to root element, one for the initial submission date and
one for the cvs $date$ tag, which can be parsed by xslt.

?

nd

Re: License in generated docs

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:

> > "Copyright 2002-2004 Apache Software Foundation. Licensed under the
> > 2.0</a>."
> >
> > in the html itself.  This omits the disclaimer of liability, but it
> > makes
> > things clear to the people who read the docs (as opposed to the insane
> > people who read generated html sourcecode).
>
> That is okay, except that I would make the link to the actual version
> instead of its parent directory.  The disclaimer is only necessary for
> the code and places where the license for the code is described.

I'm wondering what we're going to do with the (more or less) static files in
1.3? Put the copyright/license notice into the (ss-included) footer? Or just
do nothing at all?

nd

Re: License in generated docs

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
> Nobody every really answered the question of whether the license
> boilerplate reference text should be in html docs generated from xml.
> (Clearly it should be contained in a comment in the xml source.)
>
> My suggestion is not to put the boilerplate in an html comment, but
> rather
> to put:
>
> "Copyright 2002-2004 Apache Software Foundation. Licensed under the
> 2.0</a>."
>
> in the html itself.  This omits the disclaimer of liability, but it
> makes
> things clear to the people who read the docs (as opposed to the insane
> people who read generated html sourcecode).

That is okay, except that I would make the link to the actual version
instead of its parent directory.  The disclaimer is only necessary for
the code and places where the license for the code is described.

....Roy