Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/04/01 17:07:16 UTC

Project separations and mailing lists

Hi,

I would like to propose some further separation of some of the turbine
code and the creation of two more mailing lists ... all in preparation
for separating a couple pieces of turbine into their own projects.

Right now I think we have two candidates for this process:

Torque
JCS

Torque has its own repository, but I think it would be good have a
separate mailing list to prepare for separation into its own project. I
don't think it's near ready enough to be proposed as a top-level
subproject and I would really like to encourage some cross-pollentation
between Torque and ObjectBridge. I think a separate mailing list would
certainly help facilitate this.

I think JCS is big enough on it's own to be in its own repository with
its own build. John and James are working on it but I think the cruft
needs to be cleaned up and more people need to try it before it can be
proposed as a top-level subproject. But again I think a separate mailing
list would be wise.

Fulcrum probably will go down the same road but I don't think it has the
attention yet.

But I think it would be great to clean Torque and JCS up and get them
out of here so they can be used by a wider audience.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 11:46, Daniel Rall wrote:
> Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> writes:
>
> > But I think it would be great to clean Torque and JCS up and get them
> > out of here so they can be used by a wider audience.
>
> Torque should definitely become a top-level project.  JCS is great,
> but I'm unsure whether it has the steam to jump to the top-level right
> off the bat.

IMO, neither of Torque nor JCS have what is required to become a
top-level project but a separate mailing list would help us determine
what to do to fix the problems. Then we can either go the commons route
or a separate top-level project.

I just want to separate things.

> Commons might be more appropriate as a first move.  JCS
> should go right into the main Commons -- not the Sandbox -- since
> we've already incubated it for Apache in the Stratum repository.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> writes:

> But I think it would be great to clean Torque and JCS up and get them
> out of here so they can be used by a wider audience.

Torque should definitely become a top-level project.  JCS is great,
but I'm unsure whether it has the steam to jump to the top-level right
off the bat.  Commons might be more appropriate as a first move.  JCS

Posted by Ville Skyttä <vi...@iki.fi>.
On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 18:28, James Taylor wrote:

> +1, I think this will be of great benefit to both projects.

+1, me too.

--
Ville Skyttä
ville.skytta@iki.fi