Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/04/14 09:34:12 UTC

Versioning Plugin

Gang,

I have worked to get a Versioning plugin for us, to simplify the release
process. The code so far sits in avalon/maven-plugins/versioning, but there
are still many things to do on it;

1. Generate MD5. This should be fixed in the standard Maven deploy plugin, as
ALL Apache projects are required to generate it.

2. Signing of Jars and Distros. This should also be fixed in the standard
plugins for the same reasons as (1).

3. Automatic setting of maven.versioning.enable=true, when the
increment:initialize goal is invoked.

4. Perhaps an automatic generation of the "<!DOCTYPE" in the project.xml, and
the insertion of the &artifact-version; in the <currentVersion> element.
Perhaps also for the <id> and <groupId> (which could be tricky with <extend>
constructs.

5. Perhaps automatic generation of the &artifact-id;, &artifact-group; and
&artifact-version; for all the dependencies, as well as the generation of the
index.ent file with the pointer of the definition of these entities.

That is all I can think about at the moment.
I'll try to get the documentation on to the site.

Cheers
Niclas