Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/05 17:31:20 UTC

Checkstyle doubts

Hi all!
Besides the release process I am playing a bit with Checkstyle and its
Eclipse plugin (eclipse-cs). There are some things that are configured
in Struts checkstyle file that I am not convinced of:
1. The generics angular brackets must be surrounded by spaces. For me
it is better to write:
Map<K, V>
and not
Map < K, V >

2. The "public" redundant modifier is declared illegal in that
checkstyle file, but I think that it is not so bad.

What do you think?

Ciao
Antonio

P.S.: I'll be on holidays, I will return on Wednesday. So if anyone
wants to collect the vote, finish the release etc., has my consensus
to do it :-) Happy Easter!

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/07, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all!
> Besides the release process I am playing a bit with Checkstyle and its
> Eclipse plugin (eclipse-cs). There are some things that are configured
> in Struts checkstyle file that I am not convinced of:
> 1. The generics angular brackets must be surrounded by spaces. For me
> it is better to write:
> Map<K, V>
> and not
> Map < K, V >
>
> 2. The "public" redundant modifier is declared illegal in that
> checkstyle file, but I think that it is not so bad.

I agree on both of the above.

Greg

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/5/07, Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/5/07, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > 2. The "public" redundant modifier is declared illegal in that
> > > checkstyle file, but I think that it is not so bad.
> >

> > Here I disagree. IMHO, using 'public' in interfaces demonstrates a lack
> of
> > clarity. It constitutes "noise" in the interface definition that hinders
> > rapid comprehension. When someone reads through a set of interfaces and
> > sees
> > 'public' scattered around, they're likely to stop and wonder if the
> author
> > had some purpose to specifying 'public' that they should try to
> > understand,
> > when in reality the author was simply not thinking clearly enough to
> > translate their thoughts into accurate interface definitions. We should
> > always strive for maximum communication bandwidth, and not clutter the
> > code
> > with things that readers will trip over and have to stop and wonder
> about.
>

> Interesting.  I've always preferred to be explicit and express things that
> are true by default.

Do you use "if (foo == true)", then? ;-) If not, why not?

  For example, I use "this." a lot (though probably not
> consistently enough to communicate anything).  I can see your point but
> the
> lack of the public modifier would "hinder rapid comprehension" for me,
> just
> because I'm used to seeing it there.  (To be real honest I didn't realize
> it
> was defaulted until I read this - though it makes sense).
>
> So should we cater to those who don't know the language well enough or
> cater
> to those who prefer language purit?  Personally, I still prefer the former
> because I like being explicit, but I won't die on that hill.  I'm willing
> be convinced otherwise :-)

Frankly, if someone wants to pander to people who don't know the language
and don't want to, they should be writing in Pascal, not Java. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Greg

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
Ok, after reviewing the answers, I will remove the "generics angular
brackets whitespace-around" rule, but will maintain the "no public in
interfaces" rule.

Antonio

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/07, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > lack of
> > hinders
> > and
> > author
> > should
> > about.
> >
> > -0  hindering rapid comprehension is *highly* subjective.  it depends
> > on what you are trying to comprehend and what you are used to.  in
> > this instance that is apparently different for you and me. :)
> >

> > > Interesting.  I've always preferred to be explicit and express things
> > that
> > > are true by default.
> >
> > agreed.   i also like that the method signature looks like it does in
> > the implementation class.   i prefer the consistency...
>

> This is a perfect demonstration of my point. Creating interfaces is a design
> activity; creating implementation classes is an implementation activity.
> They *should* be distinct, and you *should* be thinking differently when you
> write them. Making them look the same confuses these two very different
> activities and can lead to poor interface design.

heh.  seems like an entirely new point to me, probably the first time
i've heard the phrase "implementation activity", and i don't agree
with the conclusion that declaring 'public' has anything to do with
poor interface design. :)  still, i can appreciate wanting to further
differentiate between the two types of classes, and since it's appears
to be a somewhat religious issue to you and no one else cares much,
i'll back your play and vote for not allowing unnecessary (and
potentially threatening) 'public' modifiers! i'll adjust quite quickly
and might even come to value it too. :)

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 4/5/07, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> 2. The "public" redundant modifier is declared illegal in that
> > checkstyle file, but I think that it is not so bad.
>

> Here I disagree. IMHO, using 'public' in interfaces demonstrates a lack of
> clarity. It constitutes "noise" in the interface definition that hinders
> rapid comprehension. When someone reads through a set of interfaces and
> sees
> 'public' scattered around, they're likely to stop and wonder if the author
> had some purpose to specifying 'public' that they should try to
> understand,
> when in reality the author was simply not thinking clearly enough to
> translate their thoughts into accurate interface definitions. We should
> always strive for maximum communication bandwidth, and not clutter the
> code
> with things that readers will trip over and have to stop and wonder about.

Interesting.  I've always preferred to be explicit and express things that
are true by default.  For example, I use "this." a lot (though probably not

Re: Checkstyle doubts

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/5/07, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all!
> Besides the release process I am playing a bit with Checkstyle and its
> Eclipse plugin (eclipse-cs). There are some things that are configured
> in Struts checkstyle file that I am not convinced of:
> 1. The generics angular brackets must be surrounded by spaces. For me
> it is better to write:
> Map<K, V>
> and not
> Map < K, V >