Posted to users@opennlp.apache.org by Siva Sakthi <ss...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/01 11:25:01 UTC

Java - Opennlp

Hi

I need to solve the following using NLP, can you give me pointers on how to
achieve this using OpenNLP API

a. How to find out if a sentence implies a certain action in the past,
present or future.
(e.g. I was very sad last week - past
       I feel like hitting my neighbor - present
       I am planning to go to New York next week - future
b. How to find the word which corresponds to a person or company or country
(e.g. John is planning to specialize in Electrical Engineering in UC
Berkley and pursue a career with IBM).

Person = John
Company = IBM
Location = Berkley

Thanks,
Ss

Re: Java - Opennlp

Posted by Sahar Ebadi <sa...@yuxipacific.com>.
Hi,
for (a) have a look for words that have POS tags of an especial tense. for
example for past tense look for POS tags of: *VBD* - Verb, past tense and *
VBN* - Verb, past participle.
have a look at: http://bulba.sdsu.edu/jeanette/thesis/PennTags.html. for
other alternatives.
Here is a short but great toturial that helped me alot:
http://danielmclaren.com/2007/05/11/getting-started-with-opennlp-natural-language-processing
hope it helps!

Regards,
Sahar