Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by LeRoi <le...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2001/06/15 11:11:28 UTC

FW: newbie: Starting Tomcat

Hello,

I'm new to java and was coming to grips with it until I got to the
chapter on SERVLETS.  I hope some one out there can help me and I
would like to thank you in advance.

I downloaded and installed Tomcat 3.2.2 under NT 4.0 (SP 6) without
any problems.  I also have JDK 1.3 on the machine.  Following one
posting on "Google" I added the line to the server.xml file:
        <RequestInterceptor
            className="org.apache.tomcat.request.Jdk12Interceptor" />

When trying to start Tomcat I get the following message:

E:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\bin>tomcat run
Including all jars in E:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\lib in your CLASSPATH.

Using CLASSPATH:
E:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\classes;E:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\lib\ant.jar;E:\jakar
ta-tomc
at-3.2.2\lib\jasper.jar;E:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\lib\jaxp.jar;E:\jakarta-tomc
at-3.2.2\lib\parser.jar;
E:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\lib\servlet.jar;E:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\lib\webserve
r.jar

2001-06-12 04:16:19 - ContextManager: Adding context Ctx( /examples )
2001-06-12 04:16:19 - ContextManager: Adding context Ctx( /admin )
Starting tomcat. Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages
2001-06-12 04:16:19 - ContextManager: Adding context Ctx(  )
2001-06-12 04:16:19 - ContextManager: Adding context Ctx( /test )
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError:
java.util.MissingResourceException
: Can't find bundle for base name javax.servlet.http.LocalStrings,
locale en_US
        at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(Unknown
Source)
        at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(Unknown Source)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.<clinit>(HttpServlet.java:144)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.loadServlet(ServletWrapper.java:268)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.init(ServletWrapper.java:289)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.context.LoadOnStartupInterceptor.contextInit(LoadOnStartup
Interceptor.j
ava:130)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.initContext(ContextManager.java:491)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.init(ContextManager.java:453)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:195)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.main(Tomcat.java:235)
E:\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2\bin>

If I use "Tomcat Start" or just the "Start.bat" I get a second window that
opens and disappears rather quickly before I can see what's going on.  Can
anyone help?  Also, can anyone suggest any books on Tomcat?

Regards,
LeRoi

RE: FW: newbie: Starting Tomcat

Posted by LeRoi <le...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Dim,

Thanx a mil!!!  I removed Tomcat & JRE.  I then installed the full JSE and
then Tomcat.  I ran "tomcat run" and guess what?  It worked.  You don't know
how good that made me feel.  But, I'm sure that I'll be asking more
questions as I forge ahead.  Many thanx!

LeRoi

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@ozemail.com.au>.

Posted by LeRoi <le...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Hello all.  It's me again.  Unfortunately, no further than when I first
started trying to run Tomcat.  I have tried every suggestion given me to no
avail.  I should also note that the two log files created when I attempt to
start Tomcat [server.log and jasper.log] are both empty.  And that there is
no tomcat.log.  The error messages are still the same as listed below.

Feeling hopeless,
LeRoi

Posted by Jim Cheesman <jc...@msl.es>.

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@nuix.com.au>.
The problem here is with the test context, not the server itself.  Have you
possibly removed some files from the %TOMCAT_HOME%\webapps\test directory?
If not, try removing the entire webapps\test directory and restarting.

What is happening is that when the test context is being initialized a
servlet is being loaded on startup that is looking for a resource bundle and
failing (for some reason).  This bindle is from memory in the
test\WEB-INF\classes directory, and by the looks of the exception should be a

Re: newbie: Starting Tomcat

Posted by Luba Powell <lu...@bellatlantic.net>.
Look under logs directory for more messages.