Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Eya Badal <ba...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/27 03:45:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduate Apache AGE (Incubating) as a TLP

Dear Apache Incubator Community,

Apache AGE (Incubating) passed the Community Graduation Vote [1] on Nov 9
2021 with a vote result to graduate the incubation [2].

After unsuccessfully closing the IPMC Graduation Discussion Jan this year,
we believe that Apache AGE (Incubating) has resolved all the issues raised
at the previous IPMC Graduation and matured well enough to graduate to a
TLP.

Therefore we would like to raise the topic to graduate again for discussion
with the IPMC.

The following is a brief summary of the progress of the Apache AGE project
and its community during the incubation:

   -

   Close to 1000 commits
   -

   Added 9 new committers (from 7 different companies/institutions in 7
   different countries) and elevated 4 committers to PPMC
   -

   7 Apache releases (AGE 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 and 1.0 and sub-project
   AGE Viewer 1.0) from different release managers [3]
   -

   4 mentors, 13 PPMC members / committers (mentors excluded)
   -

   50+ unique contributors - Contributions span more than 20 countries
   across the globe

   -

   Developed and maintained the Apache AGE website [4]
   -

   Created an online user guide updated automatically to support new
   version of AGE. [5]
   -

   Assessed ourselves against the Apache Project maturity matrix [6] and
   didn't find any issues

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/q2cgbnhvpzk2k0m8yfh89lzc75qym9k9

[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/lr3x9bm8jyv6o5kvyh7cf3tyxrpp2kwm

[3] Apache AGE website release page <https://age.apache.org/?l=versions>

[4] https://age.apache.org/

[5] Online user guide at Apache AGE website <https://age.apache.org/#>
under the Documentation menu

[6] Apache AGE maturity assessment <https://age.apache.org/?l=maturity>

Please see the proposed board resolution below and let us know what you
think.

The discussion will remain open for at least 72 hours.

Establish the Apache AGE Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of

the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish

a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance

of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,

related to a multi-model database that enables graph and relational

models built on PostgreSQL.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee

(PMC), to be known as the "Apache AGE Project", be and hereby is

established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache AGE Project be and hereby is responsible for

the creation and maintenance of software related to a multi-model

database that enables graph and relational models built on PostgreSQL;

and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache AGE" be and hereby

is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of

the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache AGE Project, and to

have primary responsibility for management of the projects within the

scope of responsibility of the Apache AGE Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are

appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache AGE Project:

 * Alex Kwak           <em...@apache.org>

 * Dehowe Feng         <de...@apache.org>

 * Eya Badal           <ey...@apache.org>

 * Felix Cheung        <fe...@apache.org>

 * Jasper Blues        <ja...@apache.org>

 * John Gemignani      <jg...@apache.org>

 * Josh Innis          <jo...@apache.org>

 * Juan Pan            <pa...@apache.org>

 * Kevin Ratnasekera   <dj...@apache.org>

 * Nick Sorrell        <so...@apache.org>

 * Pieterjan De Potter <pd...@apache.org>

 * Von Gosling         <vo...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Eya Badal be appointed to

the office of Vice President, Apache AGE, to serve in accordance with

and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of

the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or

disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache AGE Project be and hereby is tasked with the

migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator AGE podling; and

be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator

AGE podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter

discharged.

Thank you,
Eya Badal

   - eya@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache AGE (Incubating) as a TLP

Posted by Jasper Blues <ja...@liberation-data.com>.
I already have several clients in SE Asia and AU/NZ region who are excited about this project. Initially they were sold on the ability of multi-model for  a “best of both worlds” where we treat both the graph and relational features as commodity on top of a battle tested engine.

Now I can tell them that this project is definitely going places too.

Posted by 신한별 <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I am one of the developer contributors for AGE Viewer, a sub-project of
AGE.
I would love to see the project become a top-level project for increased
exposure in the market to allow the software to be tried,
tested and used much more in graph database community.

David Shin

2022년 5월 2일 (월) 오후 5:01, Young Seung Andrew Ko <yo...@gmail.com>님이
작성:

Posted by Young Seung Andrew Ko <yo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Gemignani <jr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by KOKOU AFIDEGNON <ko...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Nicholas Sorrell <ni...@cint.io>.
Hello,

I have been an enthusiast and contributor to this project since late 2020, and it's been great to interact with such a welcoming and growing team of contributors from all around the world.

The technology and project, in my opinion, embody Apache ideologies and is ready to graduate to a TLP. I'm excited to be a part of this community and the fantastic functionality this provides to Postgres.

________________________________

Posted by Muhammad Shoaib <mu...@gmail.com>.
Bonjour,

Posted by Alex Kwak <em...@apache.org>.

Posted by Juan Pan <pa...@apache.org>.
Hello,

This is Trista, one of its mentors. It's been almost half of a year since they raised the graduation proposal.

During this half-year, I was able to view their attempts to address the issues mentioned by IPMCs last time, and their efforts to build the community, release projects and sub-projects compliant with Apache regulations and licenses. Therefore, the community got more contributions involved, more releases online, and more understanding with the Apache community style [1].

I believe the crew is doing their best for this project and community, and would appreciate hearing more ideas and suggestions from everyone to improve it. ;-)

Thanks,
Trista
[1] https://incubator.apache.org/clutch/age.html
Trista Pan
Twitter & Github: tristaZero

Reminder, the discussion is scheduled to close after 24 hours.

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dehowe Feng <de...@bitnine.net>.
Since I joined the AGE project, the team has grown and the project has
matured into a community of contributors around the world.

Eya is a fantastic addition as Vice President of AGE-- she has shown so
much dedication and passion to the project. Excited to see what is in store
for AGE.

Posted by Josh Innis <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
Dear Apache Incubator Community,

Thanks for all the discussions and positive feedback. If there is no other comment, I will launch a formal graduation vote in the next 24 hours.

Thank you.
Eya