Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ha...@vnc.biz on 2021/01/21 07:49:59 UTC

Events on updating documents

Hello,

We at VNC are using Solr for search and as a data store. We have a use-case in which we want to hit a REST endpoint whenever documents are inserted, updated, or deleted in Solr with the documents under consideration as well. When exploring the Solr documentation, we found Event Listeners with postCommit and postOptimize events. We have configured Solr to do soft-commits every second and hard-commits every ten minutes to keep real-time indexing intact. With that in mind the questions are:

Do we get the documents updated in the postCommit event? (Not able to find any examples)
Are there other events that are triggered when a doc is updated, deleted, or inserted like those we have in an RDBMS?
Is there a postSoftCommit event as well? (not mentioned in official docs)

Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Kind regards

Muhammad Haris Khan

VNC - Virtual Network Consult

-- Solr Ingenieur --

Re: Events on updating documents

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Solr is not a database. I strongly recommend that you NOT use it as a data store. You will lose data.

Solr does not have transactions. Don’t think of a Solr “commit” as a database commit. It is a command to start indexing the queued updates. It does not even attempt to meet ACID properties.

Redesign your system to use a database as a data store.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org