Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Sebastian Bösl <sb...@gmx.de> on 2013/09/02 13:52:35 UTC

Problem with FailOverLoadBalancer

Hi,

I've a problem calling a REST based service with dynamic uris in combination with a failover load balancer.
Below is how I do it at the moment but I'm open to better solutions.
It would also be great if there is a way that I can inject a dynamic number of endpoints, so I could inject a thrid cluster node without changing the code.

I've designed the route as
from("direct:a")
     .loadBalance()
         .failover(-1, false, false)
             .recipientList(simple(endpoints[0]))
             .recipientList(simple(endpoints[1]))
     .end()

Which leads to this exception:
Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.camel.model.LoadBalanceDefinition cannot be cast to org.apache.camel.model.ExpressionNode
	at com.sbo.MyRouteBuilder.configure(QuovaRouteBuilder.java:52)
	at org.apache.camel.builder.RouteBuilder.checkInitialized(RouteBuilder.java:322)
	at org.apache.camel.builder.RouteBuilder.configureRoutes(RouteBuilder.java:276)
	at org.apache.camel.builder.RouteBuilder.addRoutesToCamelContext(RouteBuilder.java:262)
	at org.apache.camel.impl.DefaultCamelContext.addRoutes(DefaultCamelContext.java:650)
	at org.apache.camel.core.xml.AbstractCamelContextFactoryBean.installRoutes(AbstractCamelContextFactoryBean.java:658)
	at org.apache.camel.core.xml.AbstractCamelContextFactoryBean.afterPropertiesSet(AbstractCamelContextFactoryBean.java:282)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1541)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1479)
	... 50 more

If I change the route to
from("direct:a")
     .loadBalance()
         .failover(-1, false, false)
             .process(new RecipientList(getContext(), simple(endpoints[0])))
             .process(new RecipientList(getContext(), simple(endpoints[1])))
     .end()
It works as expected, so I guess there is an internal bug somewhere.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Re: Problem with FailOverLoadBalancer

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Event you are using the RecipientList, you  just setup the fail over
endpoint at the design time not the run time.

Fuse Fabric[1] can provide the dynamic fail over by leveraging the Zoo
Keeper to keep tracking the endpoints.

[1]http://fuse.fusesource.org/fabric/docs/overview.html#Camel_Fabric

Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (http://willemjiang.blogspot.com/)
(English)
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by sbo13 <sb...@gmx.de>.
Thank's Claus, I must admitt I hadn't thought about that.

Re: Problem with FailOverLoadBalancer

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
There is low-level API on the FailOverProcessor which can add/remove at runtime.
http://camel.apache.org/maven/current/camel-core/apidocs/org/apache/camel/processor/loadbalancer/LoadBalancerSupport.html#addProcessor(org.apache.camel.Processor)

Though there is no nice high level API to do that. There is a JIRA
ticket about adding JMX APIs for adding/removing endpoints uris.

But the FailOverLB was designed to not be dynamic from the start. But
maybe in a future Camel release it would be easier to add/remove uris
on-the-fly.

You can always implement your own processor to do this today. Or
extend the existing ones and build added logic.

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM, sbo13 <sb...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Has nobody a solution for adding a variable number of endpoints with dynamic
> uris?

Claus Ibsen
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: cibsen@redhat.com