Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> on 2004/05/12 18:53:33 UTC

standard name for license file

Hi,

Did we ever decide on a standard name for the license file? I'm already
catching a couple variations in the upload bundles so if we haven't
decided already can we pick a file name as I would like to convert it
to:

<artifactId>-<version>.license

When uploading into ibiblio.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

Re: standard name for license file

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 03:05, Rafal Krzewski wrote:
> Vincent Massol wrote:
>
> > Isn't it possible that a dual-license project has the dual license
> > defined in a single license file? Does it have to be in 2 files?
>
> I'd go with a single file. It's just a text file so people can put in
> what they need. For example an explaination what parts of the software
> are covered by what license, or the conditions under which the different
> licenses apply and then include the text of the licenses below.

Ok, so we'll just have a standard extension of "license" and we'll use
the form:

<artifactId>-<version>.license

If this is cool then I will update the repo plugin to produce this
format for the upload bundles.

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <ra...@caltha.pl>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 15:29, Vincent Massol wrote:

> keep version the last element of the artifact name).
>

> > Where lic id might be standard abbreviations/ids used at
> >
> > http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
> >

> Isn't it possible that a dual-license project has the dual license
> defined in a single license file? Does it have to be in 2 files?

I don't think there is any legal reason we can't do that, but don't
quote me on that. It would certainly be easier in one file.

> > The <license/> element in the POM would probably have to be augmented
> > have an id things mesh. We only have a <name/> and <url/> element
> right
> > now. We definitely need to deal with multiple lics.

But I still think we could use an <id/> element for the <license/>
element.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 00:03, Michal Maczka wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Did we ever decide on a standard name for the license file? I'm already
> >catching a couple variations in the upload bundles so if we haven't
> >decided already can we pick a file name as I would like to convert it
> >to:
> >
> ><artifactId>-<version>.license
> >
> >When uploading into ibiblio.
> >

> I like the idea .. but what about projects whith multiple licenses?

Maybe add the lic type in there:

<artifactId>-<version>-<lic-id>.license ?

Where lic id might be standard abbreviations/ids used at

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

The <license/> element in the POM would probably have to be augmented to

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl>.

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@student.matnat.uio.no>.
I'm +1 for the naming but how do we handle project that has one
primary license but by the requirement of other code needs to
include other lics?

On 12 May 2004 12:53:33 -0400, Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did we ever decide on a standard name for the license file? I'm already
> catching a couple variations in the upload bundles so if we haven't
> decided already can we pick a file name as I would like to convert it
> to:
>
> <artifactId>-<version>.license
>
> When uploading into ibiblio.

--