Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Steve Hathaway <sh...@e-z.net> on 2012/05/22 07:16:16 UTC

Guidelines to keep program development simple

GSoC 2012 Notes

Guidelines to keep program development simple.

1.  Create the necessary functions or methods to implement the features.

     Don't worry about the XPath parsing and integration at this time.
     Just work on the tools that implement the features you need for
     string, date, duration, and comparison processing.

2.  Debug your functions and methods in your favorite debugger.

3.  Then create wrappers (i.e. function class extensions) used to install
     the XPath functions into the system.

     This is where we integrate your functions and methods into the
     XPath interpreter.

4.  Create some installers for the extended functions.

     This is where we prototype the ability to install the new functions
     into the XPath interpreter.

5.  Test the extended functions.

     Here we test the basic functionality and error reporting for
     boundary condition faults.

6.  Integrate the functions into the platform initializers.

     This is where we finally integrate the functions into the XALAN
     library for everyone to use.  This integration is just some
     table edits to install the work already done before.

7.  Test the platform initialized functions.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway
Xalan Documentation Project