Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2022/10/08 15:06:28 UTC

[ALL] GH workflow change details don't belong in changes.xml

Some recent changes files include details of updates to GitHub actions
in workflows.

I don't think these details belong in the changes file.
They are not relevant to the release.

Indeed the workflows that contain the updates are not included in the
release -- nor should they be.

Sebb

Re: [ALL] GH workflow change details don't belong in changes.xml

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Le sam. 8 oct. 2022 à 17:06, sebb <se...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Some recent changes files include details of updates to GitHub actions
> in workflows.
>
> I don't think these details belong in the changes file.
> They are not relevant to the release.
>
> Indeed the workflows that contain the updates are not included in the
> release -- nor should they be.

FTR:
    https://markmail.org/message/ootu5tzp4iwbqh2r

Gilles

Re: [ALL] GH workflow change details don't belong in changes.xml

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 08/10/2022 à 17:56, sebb a écrit :

> I don't think we should be cluttering the changes file with irrelevant
> and potentially confusing information.

+1, changes.xml should be for user visible changes only (API changes,
bug fixes, updated language level, etc).

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [ALL] GH workflow change details don't belong in changes.xml

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 8 Oct 2022 at 16:22, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sebb,
>
> The idea behind describing these changes is to provide a transparent
> account of how we build the software and using a CI system is critical to

That sort of information belongs on the website (if anywhere), not in
the release.
It's confusing to include references in the changes file that relate
to something that is not in the release.

> our overall efforts IMO. If you don't want to update a changes.xml file
> then don't.

I won't add it (and I don't think I have done so in the past)

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Sebb,