Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2019/05/06 08:03:33 UTC

Additional Maturity Metadata in artifacts (especially in the pom)?

Hi all,

I am currently working hard on adding support for other languages in the PLC4X maven build. While working on the python I noticed that they have some sort of maturity self-assessment metadata in their artifacts and I think that actually quite a good thing.

Doing some research I couldn’t find any means to provide similar data for maven.

In PLC4X we have a lot of modules. Some are older and mature, but others we’d like to mark as experimental.
It would be great if we could also provide enforcer rules to for example allow only mature modules or modules with a maturity scoring of at least X …

I thing we could achieve something like this manually, by providing metadata in form of resources in the jars and custom enforcer modules, but that would be an island solution only working in our domain. I think this could be beneficial to the entire Maven ecosystem to have something more generic in the system itself.

Any thoughts & suggestions on this?

Chris

Re: Additional Maturity Metadata in artifacts (especially in the pom)?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Robert,

well how it's implemented in the end I don't really have any strong feelings. It just felt as if a 4.1.0 pom would make sense.
If in the end I am able to provide metadata, this metadata survives distribution through repository managers and we have
tooling to help utilize that information (enforcer-plugin-module to check a certain minimal maturity), then all is good.

I just noticed then working on the python stuff, that they had this and thought it would be great to have it in Maven too ;-)

Chris

Am 08.05.19, 23:18 schrieb "Robert Scholte" <rf...@apache.org>:

    Remote repositories should always provide a model 4.0.0 pom, otherwise
    tools including all currently known Maven versions will not work. The
    first check is if the modelVersion is 4.0.0, otherwise Maven will simply
    stop working.

    Since the pom on the system is copied/uploaded as-is, there's no way to do
    real improvements on the pom right now. This is quite hardened is Maven
    Core. So one of the things we are working on is implementing a way where
    the build-pom can be adjusted to a valid 4.0.0 before being published.
    Maven 3.6.x already contains a couple of preparations.

    Once there's a separation, real improvements can be done. And then it
    makes sense to keep the the pom for builds, upload it as 4.0.0 and some
    new + improved format.

    Robert

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok ...

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Posted by Andres Almiray <aa...@gmail.com>.
Indeed.

I'm willing to work as liaison for Gradle :-)
Let's make it work!

Cheers,
Andres

Java Champion; Groovy Enthusiast