Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it> on 2003/01/25 15:50:47 UTC

Donated stuff [WAS: RE: ChartTransformer 0.0.4 urge a commiter!]

Steven, I beg your pardon, but I disagree with this statement.

Yes, in an ideal world we'd happily code all together, but this being the real world, sometimes happens that you develop a piece of
software for a specific customer and only after the customer's needs are met (in terms of time and features) you can think about
donating it.

This is especially true for a package like Cocoon, which is, first and foremost, the plumbing holding software components together
(the water being XML, of course).

So, IMHO, the community should welcome donations, as long as they come with no string attached and fit into the general vision.

Regards,

P.S.
A big kiss to you as well, provided you shaved this morning ;) ...hmmm, let downsize it to a bear hug ;)

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org

Re: Donated stuff [WAS: RE: ChartTransformer 0.0.4 urge a commiter!]

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Luca Morandini wrote:

> So, IMHO, the community should welcome donations, as long as they
> come with no string attached and fit into the general vision.

Sure, but you are stating it a bit twisted yourself what the reasons are
behind a donation ;-)

> Regards,
>
> P.S. A big kiss to you as well, provided you shaved this morning ;)
> ...hmmm, let downsize it to a bear hug ;)

Yummy :-)

Just to put things in perspective: why don't we (Outerthought) try to
donate xreporter to Cocoon? Because it feels wrong right now, having
done all development in-house and such. But we explicitely added a
clause to the license stating that it might eventually be donated to a
larger open source body.

I hope there's more sense in my long reply than the 'loath' thing. That
was a bold thing to say, and sorry of it offended anyone.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org