Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/13 03:33:14 UTC

OpenJPA love

Hi guys,

Just a quick note to let you know we've completed the migration of Apache
ODE from Hibernate to OpenJPA. Everything seem to work pretty well now. I
expect a few glitches here and there as we run in heavily parallelized
environments but the transition has been pretty smooth.

Thanks a lot for your help and all the good work!

The ODE team.

Re: OpenJPA love

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
The primary reason was the license, Hibernate is LGPL and it's not
compatible with the Apache license. But we've found some other benefits
during the migration.

For us an important one is the good control OpenJPA gives you on the flush.
Theoretically you can do the same thing with Hibernate but practically when
you're in a JTA environment it just flushes whenever it wants (depending on
the queries you execute). If you don't flush exclusively at the end of the
transaction you can very quickly run into very hard to solve deadlocks with
some non MVCC databases (thinking mostly of SQL Server 2000 here).

Cheers,
Matthieu

AW: OpenJPA love

Posted by "Hans J. Prueller" <ha...@gmx.net>.