Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by John Glassburner <jb...@efn.org> on 2017/11/23 14:46:22 UTC

Saving Documents?

Friends,

I usually have a number of documents I'm working on and I like to keep
them open and available. If my computer is turned off abruptly, as when
we have a power outage, Open Office has an automatic rescue tool that I
appreciate. But when I shut down my computer those documents are no
longer "up" when I turn it back on again. Is there a way I can keep
these documents up and open when I turn my computer off?

john g

Re: Saving Documents?

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 06:46 23/11/2017 -0800, John Glassburner wrote:
>I usually have a number of documents I'm working on and I like to
>keep them open and available. [...] But when I shut down my computer
>those documents are no longer "up" when I turn it back on again. Is
>there a way I can keep these documents up and open when I turn my computer off?

This is really a matter not for OpenOffice but for your operating
system - which you have kept a secret. But you appear to be using Windows 7.

You can put links to specific document files in the Startup settings
of Windows, but you'd have to change these as the range of documents
in use changed.

An easier technique is to hibernate your system instead of shutting
it down. This powers off your computer gracefully, but instead of
closing applications it copies their current state to disk, so that
they are reopened in the same state when you power up your system
again. But note that there are some drawbacks. If you shut down
normally, you will be prompted to save unsaved but modified
documents. Hibernating doesn't do this, so the copy of anything in
the cloud, for example, may not be completely up to date if later
accessed from elsewhere if you have not saved explicitly before
hibernating. If you have prepared an e-mail message but not sent it,
you may not be reminded to do so before your system powers off, and
you may forget to do so. But with a bit of care, hibernation can be
the trick you need. In any case, it may be wise to restart your
system normally every so often.

See
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13770/windows-shut-down-sleep-hibernate-your-pc

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Saving Documents?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 15:59:09 +0000
Joe Anthony <ja...@msn.com> wrote:
> Please unsubscribe me from this list.

You can do it yourself:

and answer the email asking for confirmation of the unsubscribe

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Saving Documents?