Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2015/03/26 16:28:02 UTC

CentOS Cloud SIG effort

A while back I mentioned to some folks (I think it was this list, but it
may have been a subset) that the CentOS community is working on a Cloud
SIG (Special Interest Group) effort. You can read a little about it at
http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Cloud

The idea is to ensure that cloud infrastructure software, like
CloudStack, OpenStack, Open Nebula, and Eucalyptus, works solidly on
CentOS, has all of the prerequisite packages available, gets CI on the
CentOS platform, and so on.

At the moment, this is *only* OpenStack, with the other projects
unrepresented.

If you are interested in adoption of CloudStack on CentOS (and, by side
effect, on Red Hat Enterprise Linux), we'd love to have your
participation in this effort.

The best way to find out how to get involved is:

* Attend our weekly meeting, 15:00 UTC, on #centos-devel, on the
Freenode IRC network

* Join the centos-devel mailing list -

Also, several of the CentoOS guys are likely to be at Apachecon, since
several of them are based in Austin, so that's also a good time to find
out more.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: CentOS Cloud SIG effort

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
I'll try to attend too.

Regards

Paul Angus

Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue Ltd
M: 07711418784 | T: @CloudyAngus
paul.angus@shapeblue.com

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Adrian,

You're not too old-fashioned, in fact you have a good point that may not appear so obvious to others on this list.
I personally resigned to the idea that to do "cloud" you really, _really_ need to know what you're doing, otherwise it will end in tears.
I experienced this first hand, but perhaps there is a way to make this easier the others.

Let's keep at this and perhaps we can come up with something to tease the hobbyists and the SMB admins.

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> On Apr 2, 2015, at 3:46 PM, Adrian Lewis <ad...@alsiconsulting.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Lucian,
>
> This is still a very devops/developer centric approach which in my opinion
> is rife within the ACS community (understandably) and which is inadvertently
> hostile/elitist to many who might otherwise be interested. I think that many
> regular sys admins who perhaps don't want to get involved with docker,
> github, compiling stuff, running 3rd party provisioning scripts etc and just
> want to run up a quick POC would end up being alienated by this - they don’t
> have the time to learn these sorts of technologies if they would never use
> them otherwise. Obviously to most of the audience in this list that's not
> the case but I really think that there are a lot of potential (albeit likely
> small) deployments out there where the admins run a mile if getting
> something to work involves the word 'git' or even 'mailing-list’.

So technically you don’t need git or mailing list to get this done. but you do need to read the docs.

I don’t want to find excuses here, but openstack is not easier to try. Installing the mgt server and the agent is not the tough part.
To me the tough part is to understand your datacenter and how you are gong to configure your network. That part is tough to simplify.

so bottom line I agree with you, and would love to see some patches to get this done.

> These
> people just go out and buy vCloud Director instead or do without. Citrix
> would probably get more customers for CloudPlatform as well if it were very
> simple to try out ACS

> ACS needs hobbyists and sys admins in SMBs as well in my opinion, not just
> devops people in large corporations or service providers. More people
> playing with it and in turn talking/blogging about it and raising its
> profile will help immensely. These people need to be convinced that
> #Cloudstackworks.
>
> Get packages into Debian/Ubuntu and there's an even greater audience. Grab
> the long tail and the rest of the beast comes with it.

We have made some progress there with a “re-factoring” of our debian packages.
But there is still work to be done

RE: CentOS Cloud SIG effort

Re: CentOS Cloud SIG effort

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi Adrian

RE: CentOS Cloud SIG effort

Posted by Adrian Lewis <ad...@alsiconsulting.co.uk>.
Pretty sure that if getting the management server up and running was as
simple as...
1. Install CentOS
2. yum install cloudstack
3. setup-cloudstack-all-in-one.sh
...we'd see many more people at least trying it out.

Some might see the current installation options as easy enough but if
someone could get it up and running without even looking at the docs, I
reckon they'd be more likely to do it and then consult the docs when they
got stuck.

If the packages could be put into the centos-extras repo that would do the
trick. I'm sure there's more to it than my simplistic idea but could we
discuss the viability of this? We could do with a one-stop script that does

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Re: CentOS Cloud SIG effort

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Sure, I'll do my best to attend.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: CentOS Cloud SIG effort

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: CentOS Cloud SIG effort

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: CentOS Cloud SIG effort

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> On Mar 26, 2015, at 4:28 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
> A while back I mentioned to some folks (I think it was this list, but it may have been a subset) that the CentOS community is working on a Cloud SIG (Special Interest Group) effort. You can read a little about it at http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Cloud
>
> The idea is to ensure that cloud infrastructure software, like CloudStack, OpenStack, Open Nebula, and Eucalyptus, works solidly on CentOS, has all of the prerequisite packages available, gets CI on the CentOS platform, and so on.
>
> At the moment, this is *only* OpenStack, with the other projects unrepresented.
>
> If you are interested in adoption of CloudStack on CentOS (and, by side effect, on Red Hat Enterprise Linux), we'd love to have your participation in this effort.

Hi Rich, thanks for the ping again.

We have been in touch with KB (Nux! and I mostly) and submitted our scripts for building a cloudstack centOS templates upstream. It works and was merged at some point, but it got pulled back because we stick some scripts in there.

Bottom line is that I feel we need to work further upstream in cloud-init to improve cloudstack support there, once that’s done, we can come back to the CentOS builds for cloudstack.

fwiw, our install base is probably ~70% centOS and we already have centOS7 support.

-sebastien