Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> on 2013/12/04 09:21:03 UTC

logger / console.log redux

We talked a while back about this. I'm wondering if ppl feel its important
to having logging capability as a default installed thing. Also, we
probably would want this available to the CLI workflow somehow.

I know I find logging helpful for development!

Thoughts?

Re: logger / console.log redux

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
One of the suggestions in the past that I liked was to add console as a
<dependancy> to the default app template, so (at least for the cli) it gets
automatically installed but can be manually removed.

Whatever we do, I would not like to see it added directly to the platform,
as that would make it hard to remove.

RE: logger / console.log redux

Posted by Dick Van den Brink <d_...@outlook.com>.
I'm not really sure.

Re: logger / console.log redux

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
Just to be clear: there are costs involved with using the console plugin.
 Aside from performance, which is likely negligible, it misreports line
numbers since the call to the actual native console.log comes from within
the plugin's wrapper.  If you are using safari remote inspector to debug
anyway, where the console plugin doesn't buy you anything, this is just a
terrible price to pay.

If the vast majority of ios developers are doing dev for ios 5 or debugging
exclusively using console.log and never need remote inspector, then maybe I
would see the importance of this here.

Perhaps if the plugin was re-written to not clobber by default, or detect
when inspector is attached somehow and disable itself automatically, I
would be more impressed with seeing this added by default always.  As it
stands, please don't do this in a way that isn't trivial to disable.

-Michal

RE: logger / console.log redux

Posted by "Wargo, John" <jo...@sap.com>.